Is It Buggered?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yard glass

Reaction score
Hi all,
Have had some minor success of late with lagers by keeping them 'iced up' by sitting the primary in a tub with ( you guessed it ) ice

Anyhoo, long story short......
Had to work away for a week and had a Coopers Bavarian pitched with SAFlager S23 sitting in the garage.

At a guess i would say the average temp would've been @ 20/22 Deg.

I know this was way too warm :(

What I'm yearning to know is exactly what effect this will have on the beer :huh:

And yes I'm working on getting a 2nd fridge :rolleyes:

thanks for any help
yardie

yard glass said:
Hi all,

At a guess i would say the average temp would've been @ 20/22 Deg.

yardie
[post="63983"][/post]​

I hope I'm wrong, but my experience of S23 is that is not at all tolerant of higher temps, I also used to do the ice tub thing, but it wasnt successful with S23. Fruity flavours abound if you cant keep the temp down, and for me, S23 in particular is a BIG producer of apricot ester. Assuming that it was at that temp for the main phase of fermentation, I suspect that if you are a fan of beer mixed with apricot nectar, you are going to be a happy brewer.

ditto. been there done that. loved the apricot. shame it was in the beer.

I found that, even in a Canberra Winter, I got plenty of passionfruit flavour from this yeast. Tossed the batch, but should've kept it, as I've come to appreciate the flavour.

Much better than pineapple-flavoured pile from a Bohemian pils yeast that saw a warm day one Winter. ...Don't wanna talk about it. Still have some of the beer, unconsumed after 6 years. Will use it for yeast cultures. It'll live. I'm a biologist!

Sethism :p

Back