Is It Available/possible To Make A Kriek From Kit?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nickh

Reaction score
Hi all,

Can anyone advise of a method to make a DECENT Kriek from either a kit or some kind of adaptation from a kit/fresh liquid wort ingredients

Thanks in advance for any feedback

Hi all,

Can anyone advise of a method to make a DECENT Kriek from either a kit or some kind of adaptation from a kit/fresh liquid wort ingredients

Thanks in advance for any feedback

There is a kit that is available in America that comes with:
3 lbs Wheat DME
3 lbs Pilsen DME
1 oz Hersbrucker
2 cans Vintners Harvest Cherry Puree
Wyeast 3278 Lambic Blend

Not quite just a "kit" Kriek, but doesn't require any mashing, just boil the two DME along with the hops, chill and pitch.

Add the cherry puree to secondary and away you go!

Check it out here, there is a PDF available with the ingredients, method, etc to get you going, step-by-step. Can be done easily in a BigW 19L stock pot and chilled in an ice bath in your laundry/kitchen sink.

Hope that gives you something to look into.

A company named Brewferm made a Kriek kit. I don't know if anyone is still stocking Brewferm products in Australia.

My dad recently made a pretty neat kriek from a kit.

He just added a bottle of the sour cherry spirit flavouring from an HBS!

Amazing sour cherry flavoured beer... with no funk ;)

clever dad ;)

alien13 said:
There is a kit that is available in America that comes with:
3 lbs Wheat DME
3 lbs Pilsen DME
1 oz Hersbrucker
Wyeast 3278 Lambic Blend

Not quite just a "kit" Kriek, but doesn't require any mashing, just boil the two DME along with the hops, chill and pitch.
You could just replace the 3lb of wheat DME with a 1.7kg can of Coopers Wheat, then you wouldn't need to boil/add hops/chill at all. There's your kit Kriek.

1.7kg Coopers Wheat can
1.5kg extra light DME
Wyeast 3278 Lambic Blend

into 23 litres for a few points over 5%abv

Ask Barls, he made a raspberry lambic from a kit which won best beer of the night at ANHC clubnight. I think the recipe is somewhere, possibly in the ANHC 2012 thread.

EDIT: Ouch, beaten by tallie...

Surely possible, but are you up to aging it for a long time?
At the end of the day the peddo / lacto needs to age for a few months....

kriek im working on, frambrose is in the fermentor,
looking back you need a decent yeast to make it, the kit ones wont do it,

carniebrew said:
You could easily just replace the 3lb of wheat DME with a 1.7kg can of Coopers Wheat, then you wouldn't need to boil/add hops/chill at all. There's your kit Kriek.

1.7kg Coopers Wheat can
1.5kg extra light DME
Wyeast 3278 Lambic Blend

Thanks everyone for your help with this. Just checked out Vintners Cherry Puree- how does one get hold of this in the most economic way in Australia? Seems to be an American product that needs imporrting rater than being plucked off the shelf of a store...

nickh said:
Thanks everyone for your help with this. Just checked out Vintners Cherry Puree- how does one get hold of this in the most economic way in Australia? Seems to be an American product that needs imporrting rater than being plucked off the shelf of a store...
Why not ferment and drop on cherries?

I visited De Ranke brewery in Belg and they had a Kriek Cuvee that was made from a 70% sour ale mixed with 30% Gueuze from either cantillon or one of the other ones.

My notes are as follows:

Kriek
5 day ferment
1 year age
6 months on cherries
6 months with mixed lambic
Ratio 70% - ale, 30% lambic
3200l end vol
280kg cherries

For what it was, this was the *best* non-official-lambic sour i tried.
Hands down it was a length or two ahead of all the syrup krieks - 5 star.

nickh said:
i use the frozen sour cherries from frozberries atm. but have previously used farm fresh ones.
i believe raven has a clone of my first kriek going atm.

I had good results with the jared morello cherries you can get from coles / woolworths

Oh btw barls, I was at froz berries today buying kilos of whole raspberry's for some framboise action later in the year.
their prices are awesome

carniebrew said:
You could just replace the 3lb of wheat DME with a 1.7kg can of Coopers Wheat, then you wouldn't need to boil/add hops/chill at all. There's your kit Kriek.

1.7kg Coopers Wheat can
1.5kg extra light DME
Wyeast 3278 Lambic Blend

When would you suggest to add the 2 cans of cherry puree to the recipe? Could you possible please provide a step by step method for this?

Rack onto them in your secondary fermenter after about a week or so, then leave the beer for a couple of months to get really funky

Back