is it an infection ? weird behaviour in the bottle

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mongey

Reaction score
so drinking my 2nd batch of extract saison this week .been in the longnecks a month. its acting werid

when I open it it doesnt gush. foams up a bit nicley . pour a glass , has a suitable foamy head for a saison and goods carb level . then while I drink the glass, the half a longneck left in the bottle slowly starts to foam up till it starts coming out the top of the bottle

being a saison its a little hard to see if there's off flavours. it tatses good. def a bit more saision funk than my first batch but I did fermeent it a few degrees warmer this time.

but the foaming up in the bottle is werid. Is that an infection ?

Every bottle?
What temp?
How long chilled?
Dry hopped?
How new/clean were the bottles?

manticle said:
Every bottle?
What temp?
How long chilled?
Dry hopped?
How new/clean were the bottles?
so far every bottle . but thats only been 4 or so
. fermeneted at 24 with belle saison.
longnecks had been in the fridge all day . usllay put my nighly allocation in the fridge in the morning when making my coffee
no dry hop
various glass bottles been used a few to 10 or so times . I rinse after drinking then for bottling soak in pink stuff a few hours , bottle brush , rinse, then sanitize with idophor

Carbon dioxide is less soluble at warmer temperatures, so perhaps it's as simply as when you're drinking the glass, the bottle warms up and the increased effervescence causes more foam.

Yeah temp I meant drinking temp.
Try chilling one for 24 hours+ and carefully decanting.

Could be particulate matter and/or temp related. Matter might be excess yeast sediment, hop matter, biofilm or other dirt/debris in the bottles.

There is also a microorganism that can lead to gushing - bacterial or fungal from memory.

manticle said:
Yeah temp I meant drinking temp.
Try chilling one for 24 hours+ and carefully decanting.

Could be particulate matter and/or temp related. Matter might be excess yeast sediment, hop matter, biofilm or other dirt/debris in the bottles.

There is also a microorganism that can lead to gushing - bacterial or fungal from memory.
Just finished the 'Malt' book... that would be Fusarium head blight, causing elevated levels of the mycotoxin "deoxynivalenol" (DON).

Also called vomitoxin... sounds fun.

I've made 3 AG batches with Belle Saison, and all have exhibited this behavior to a greater or lesser extent. Interesting to hear someone else is experiencing it too.

super_simian said:
I've made 3 AG batches with Belle Saison, and all have exhibited this behavior to a greater or lesser extent. Interesting to hear someone else is experiencing it too.
Interesting.

Interesting.-Go-on-I-am-listening.gif

INTERESTING!

Had the same with that yeast. Seemed to progressively get worse until one of my last bottles exploded almost 5 months after being brewed.

Killer Brew said:
Had the same with that yeast. Seemed to progressively get worse until one of my last bottles exploded almost 5 months after being brewed.
good to know. my beers never last 5 motnhs so shouldnt be a probelm hopefully

had a few of them over the weekend and they foamed up a bit but not as bad. still tatses good so don't think its infected. must be the yeast thing. just weird it didnt happen on my first batch

Mongey I've had roughly the same thing happen

Though I've found it tends to happen towards the end of the batch...and is always with hefeweizen

Has happened with white labs hefeweizen , and hefeweizen IV, also fermentis wb06.

Sometimes the same as you explained, others I pop the lid and it takes off...not out of control, but starts foaming straight away.

My cleaning procedure is much the same as yours, though I don't soak the bottles in stain remover, just leave them in a minute and bottle brush the **** out of them.

Normally get into my hefe's 2 weeks after bottling, always seems to be the ones I save that it happens with.

My latest batch will be tasted tomorrow, used wyeast weihenstephan, be interesting to see how it goes.

So far have done a few dark ales, a couple of pumpkin ales, few ipa's, only had the issue in my hefe's

Latest posts

Back