Is Ginger Fermentable?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dunkel_Boy

Reaction score
Hypothetically, if a friend of mine decided at the last minute to add some ginger (I think he said it was about a thumb-sized piece) to his priming solution to give a bit of a kick to his IPA, should my mate be worried about the ginger fermenting and causing overcarbonation, or is my mate just paranoid?

My friend looks forward to your replies...

Adrian

I'd be more worried about the bugs living on and in the ginger. Did "your friend" boil it first?

Dunkel_Boy said:
Hypothetically, if a friend of mine decided at the last minute to add some ginger (I think he said it was about a thumb-sized piece) to his priming solution to give a bit of a kick to his IPA, should my mate be worried about the ginger fermenting and causing overcarbonation, or is my mate just paranoid?
[post="118454"][/post]​
Your mate is just paranoid.

Dunkel_Boy said:

My friend looks forward to your replies...

Adrian
[post="118454"][/post]​

Adrian,

I always add about 15 g of freshly grated ginger root to my boiling priming sugar solution when I make a wit, gives a bit of a zing. I strain out the lumps before adding to the bottling bucket.

The wit always comes out nice.

Cheers, Andrew.

Ahh good.
Yes, I boiled the ginger thoroughly - I figured I put my grubby hands all over it, I'd better boil. Had a gorgeous smell, and the little bit of fluid left over (containing the strained chunks) after I added it to the fermenter tasted very good.

Cheers guys.

Adrian

PS - I'm going to do a Hoegaarden clone in the (very) near future - the plan was equal parts ginger/coriander/orange peel late in the boil and possibly in a similar way to what I did tonight. Mmm... beer... my one weakness...

I have added both grated and piece ginger to my bottles after bulk priming .

I peeled the ginger , using a sanitized potatoe peeler and cut into sticks that would fit into the bottle , and I also added 5gm of grated ginger , not both .

I assume after peeling there would be little chance of contamination

I have also added 10ml of Buderim ginger cordial ( get it at the supermarket)

My reasoning for added ginger and the cordial is allong the same lines as added finishing hops

Works for me , never had any problems

Latest posts

Back