Is Gas Or Electric Cheaper To Run?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

claypot

Reaction score
Hi, I'm looking to make the move to AG in the near future.
So just getting my head around all the possible setups and what will be best for me.
I am leaning towards a HERMS and boiler, but really like the idea of the one vessel setup along the lines of the Braumeister.
Does any one know what is cheaper to run for the heating, Gas or electric?
If I go gas I will set it up on a solenoid and pilot flame.
I think electric is far easier, but I am able to get auto gas to refill my house and 9Kg bottles. This cost's around $11 for a 9 Kg bottle.
The only problem with the auto gas is it doesn't have as good heat out put, still the price is right.
Off peak electric is not an option for me as Im not keen to brew at night or set timers.
Thanks in advance,
Cheers Clayton.

Hi, I'm looking to make the move to AG in the near future.
So just getting my head around all the possible setups and what will be best for me.
I am leaning towards a HERMS and boiler, but really like the idea of the one vessel setup along the lines of the Braumeister.
Does any one know what is cheaper to run for the heating, Gas or electric?
If I go gas I will set it up on a solenoid and pilot flame.
I think electric is far easier, but I am able to get auto gas to refill my house and 9Kg bottles. This cost's around $11 for a 9 Kg bottle.
The only problem with the auto gas is it doesn't have as good heat out put, still the price is right.
Off peak electric is not an option for me as Im not keen to brew at night or set timers.
Thanks in advance,
Cheers Clayton.
i would have said electric is way cheaper and easier but looks like you've got a bargain for gas although it probably costs me around $1.20 a brew where when i used gas it was more like $5 a brew. (biab brew)
i hated gas when the bloody thing ran out half way through a brew if you weren't paying attention.

Don't be super worried about the cost of elec Vs LPG per batch.

I pay $22 a LPG refill and over a long period worked out it is about $3 a batch. In your case with half price refills that would be $1.50 a batch. Elec is about $1 per batch.

On my website qldkev.net under LPG Burners I've got some ideas about the pro and cons of both ways.

In the case of a Braumeister I think elec would be easier to setup, as I personally have never tried automating LPG with solenoids etc; where as elec is pretty straightforward. Check out the Aurdino thread on here for lots of ideas.

QldKev

don't stress it,

rejoice in the fact you're making $70 a slab beer for around 20!

gotta love cheap beer.

Hey Milob40 and QldKev thanks for the replies.
Looks like electric is the way forward, as I am strongly looking at the Braumeister type set up. Gas will make it difficult to have bottom entry piping, and temp prob wiring.
I thought that if, with my cheap gas supply it was alot cheaper to run gas would be more attractive. I was surprised to hear how cheap the electric set up is to run, I thought it would be more.
All though I think our power rates are a bit higher here in S.A peak starts at 29c per Kwh upto 38c per Kwh with no option to go on off peak rates.
QldKev there is some good info on your web site thanks alot, I still have a way to go to get it all sorted in my head!
Thanks again,
Clayton.

I've never been too concerned with which costs more. FWIW My system runs on both electricity (hlt) and gas (kettle) and I'm more interested in the quality of the beer than if one method costs a few dollars more. I know I can get 3 x 90 minute boils, 2x 60 minute boils and a few bbqs out of an 8kg cyclinder with some left over.

JD

I've never been too concerned with which costs more. FWIW My system runs on both electricity (hlt) and gas (kettle) and I'm more interested in the quality of the beer than if one method costs a few dollars more. I know I can get 3 x 90 minute boils, 2x 60 minute boils and a few bbqs out of an 8kg cyclinder with some left over.

JD

I BIAB

and use a 2400w over the side element and a 3 ring burner to brew with.

Elec to heat mash water,
Both full tilt to the boil,
then when boiling roll the gas right back and use elec and some gas.

500g gas per brew with a 40-42L boil for a 27L batch.

I agree with the above, more interested in taste than cost on homebrew scale. Still streets ahead of store bought prices for good beer.
Really impressed with how this AG caper is working out.

Cheers,
D80

Basically, the gas might be cheaper per joule, but ALL of the electricity watts go into the water, where is a large proportion of the gas joules are lost up the side of the pot.

Insultate your pot. it will be even cheaper to run!

Advantage of electric:
Can set timer to preheat strike water while you sleep (dont think I would trust doing this with gas).
Dont have to worry about it running out.
Dont need to haul out a gas bottle?

Back