Is coopers halal?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dave70 said:
I still don't get how rejecting halal makes someone racist. If I start a thread railing against MSG am I automatically prejudiced toward Chinese people?
Are you boycotting MSG because it's bad for you or because it's made by Chinese people?

Pretty sure halal food doesn't have the first reason.

Mr. No-Tip said:
Are you boycotting MSG because it's bad for you or because it's made by Chinese people?

And that is the difference...

But there is a valid reason for steering away from halal meat from an animal welfare point of view. Myself and a few friends are butchering a few lambs in a week, we'll be shooting them first before bleeding them out, not slitting their throat while pointing them to Mecca to appease a particular sky fairy.

wereprawn said:
Wow. There is nothing wrong with choosing not to fund Islam through the halal certification. Poor Op gets flayed for asking a simple question.
Yes there is, it's based in fear and is plain bigotry and discriminatory.

wereprawn said:
Wow. There is nothing wrong with choosing not to fund Islam through the halal certification. Poor Op gets flayed for asking a simple question.

Mr. No-Tip said:

Nope, but Daves assertion in particular seems to be anyone avoiding or boycotting halal food has a prejudice toward a race.

jlm said:
But there is a valid reason for steering away from halal meat from an animal welfare point of view. Myself and a few friends are butchering a few lambs in a week, we'll be shooting them first before bleeding them out, not slitting their throat while pointing them to Mecca to appease a particular sky fairy.
You'll find virtually all meat slaughtered in accordance with halal in Australia still has to die by the rules. Stunned followed by having its throat cut. If not, then people indeed would have grounds for protest.

I'm boycotting universities because they're supported by the government who also provides support for the citizens and residents of Australia who sometimes decide to become foreign fighters for IS. Universities are clearly the problem here.

Really? I thought part of the whole halal/kosher jibber jabber was that they can't be stunned. Well good for you Allah. You slightly (not a **** of a lot) more progressive than I thought.

Thought that the definition of what needs to be excluded to be halal certified would be good to post here.

The religious critic within me first thought that not all these things would be literally written in the quran but you can say the same with what some wacky people interpret form the bible.

-Alcoholic drinks and intoxicants
-Non-Halal animal fat
-Enzymes (microbial enzymes are permissible)
-Gelatine from non-Halal source (fish gelatine is Halal)
-L-cysteine (if from human hair)
-Lard
-Lipase (only animal lipase need be avoided)
-Non-Halal animal shortening
-Pork products
-Unspecified meat broth
-Rennet (All forms should be avoided except for plant, microbial and synthetic rennet, as well as rennet obtained from Halal slaughtered animals)
-Stock (mixed species broth or meat stock)
-Tallow (non-Halal species)
-Carnivorous animals, birds of prey and certain other animals
-Foods contaminated with any of the above products
Source: Islamic Council of Victoria

dannymars said:
I think this is a black and white response. I don't agree with it on the basis that there is legitimate "even PC" reasons why someone may want to do this that may not contain all or any of those reasons you stated. In some circumstances the reason could contain some or all of those.

If you care why read my stupidly long post a page back.

Crusty said:
...Muslim people, Aboriginal people or any foreign nationals at all. If they wish to live in our country & live by our values & way of life, than I welcome that with open arms.
LOL, not a racist or bigoted viewpoint at all.

dannymars said:
LOL, not a racist or bigoted viewpoint at all.
Shit mate in all honesty, pack your bag and go to the middle east. Act like you normally do here in Aus and expect everyone around you to accept your ways and views that you posses. I assure you no matter how PC or inclusive or non-rascit you think you are now your in for a fun time.

Aboriginal people aside, they didn't have much choice in the values enforced on them at the time. I think that's a fair and reasonable expectation of all Australians not just immigrants new to this country.

dannymars said:
So if a person boycotts Catholic churches by not attending mass, because they are not christian, this makes them a bigot and it's discriminatory? If a person boycotts Indonesian products to protest their occupation of,and genocide in, West Papua, that makes them an Islamophobe? Strange thought process you have, IMHO, and political correctness taken to extremes.

did you know our government provides military funding to Indonesia including training for the units in West Papua? let's boycott Australia!

Liam_snorkel said:
did you know our government provides military funding to Indonesia including training for the units in West Papua? let's boycott Australia!
Yes i do. Living in a democracy, we have the ability to publicly denounce the governments policies and vote accordingly.

wereprawn said:
, and political correctness taken to extremes.
PC lol, ask anyone who knows me... I'm far from PC

elcarter said:
Shit mate in all honesty, pack your bag and go to the middle east. Act like you normally do here in Aus and expect everyone around you to accept your ways and views that you posses. I assure you no matter how PC or inclusive or non-rascit you think you are now your in for a fun time.

Aboriginal people aside, they didn't have much choice in the values enforced on them at the time. I think that's a fair and reasonable expectation of all Australians not just immigrants new to this country.
I don't care who you are, nor where you come from, nor even what you do/say as long as you don't rape anyone, kill anyone, bash anyone, steal from anyone...

Speak whatever language you want, practice whatever religion you like.

Two wrongs don't make a right, and just because someone would not accept you is not a reason not to accept them.

-------------------

If you are going to go to the lengths and effort of not drinking Cooper's beer out of fear of supporting a religion you don't agree with.... then why don't you actually boycott some products that DO atribute to atrocites such as...

Animal cruelty, slavery, child labor, deforestation, climate change, free trade agreements etc ??

You wanna make a positive difference through your wallet, that's great! But this blatant islamaphobia is totally misdirected. Sure, find other excuses or reasons for it, but there's bigger issues with our consumer culture that require our attention imo.

Liam_snorkel said:
+ a few Hurclues aircraft that have been refurbished and re-painted at taxpayers cost.

Pretty much the only two components that greatly shape my purchasing patterns are price and quality.

well at least the swearing has died down, quite upsetting for a man of my er, disposition

I had something truly profound to ad, now what the bloody hell was it? Nup, **** it - it's gone

Latest posts

Back