Is coopers halal?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ok:

How are the funds from halal certification used?
The service fees paid to Halal Australia for halal certification and accreditation are used to maintain the normal costs of running a registered business in Australia. These include overhead costs such as utilities, rent, inventory and supplies, and employee salaries, as well as income taxes paid to the Australian government. Inspection fees also include auditing services, which are undertaken to maintain quality control of the premises and products and which cover standard expenses such as service, transportation and travel time.

Halal Australia is proud to be an Australian business and in accordance with the Australian Government’s values statement has always undertaken to respect the values of Australian society and obey its laws. Halal certification profits DO NOT go towards supporting any terrorist activities or violent politically motivated religious organisations. Nor do we have anything to do with any organisation or group anywhere in the world that incites violence and are not aligned with our values of freedom, egalitarianism, equality of opportunity, and mutual respect and tolerance.
http://www.halal-australia.com.au/clarifying-misconceptions-about-halal/

superstock said:
Checkout who issues the halal certificate and where the payment for the certificate goes
Yes, I have, which is why I said that Halal Certification does not fund Islam. My source is reputable, and not some random internet image made in MS Paint by some bigoted fool.

If you can't cope with halal certification, don't buy the product. While you're not buying it, do some research into what it is. There are far worse backings behind commercial products than that.

I guess if you equate Islam with IS because they share letters of the alphabet, then critical thinking is neither a talent nor an aspiration. You buy boags liquid malt next time you're brewing.

wereprawn said:
Wow. There is nothing wrong with choosing not to fund Islam through the halal certification. Poor Op gets flayed for asking a simple question.
I have some non halal tissues for you both. Will post at my expense.

I was under the impression that Halal in regards to food only relates to meat and alcohol so unless Coopers are putting pigs blood in malt extract then it's pure BS.

Liam_snorkel said:
Hmm....If that is the case, why have some some Australian certifiers become so wealthy by running these businesses. Is it fair, in your opinion, that the costs of certification for products sold domestically, are passed on to consumers, whom the vast majority of are not Muslim? Almost all of these products are naturally halal anyway and require no "certification" for muslims to consume. Did you know that Australian muslims still ate food before halal certification in Australia?

Edit- And why don't most certified products even carry a halal logo.?Would think it would be displayed so muslims could be informed and buy those products. I understand why many people consider halal certification dodgy.

wereprawn said:
Hmm....If that is the case, why have some some Australian certifiers become so wealthy by running these businesses. Is it fair, in your opinion, that the costs of certification for products sold domestically, are passed on to consumers, whom the vast majority of are not Muslim? Almost all of these products are naturally halal anyway and require no "certification" for muslims to consume. Did you know that Australian muslims still ate food before halal certification in Australia?

Edit- And why don't most certified products even carry a halal logo.?Would think it would be displayed so muslims could be informed and buy those products. I understand why many people consider halal certification dodgy.
Who has become wealthy exactly? Did you see this on A Current Affair in between segments about dole bludgers and illegal immigrant boat people stealing jobs from true blue Aussie war veterans?
From that same website under the very next heading:

EDIT (inserted link)
http://www.halal-australia.com.au/clarifying-misconceptions-about-halal/

Are Australian consumers who purchase halal certified goods paying a “Islamic” religious tax?

Consumers should be made aware that statements such as these are sensationalist rumours designed to incite fear amongst Australian consumers. Such statements are misleading and unequivocally incorrect.

Halal Australia has no power to enforce any tax, religious or otherwise, on the citizens of Australia under any circumstances. Companies that seek halal certification pay a flat fee that covers the cost of site accreditation and product certification and periodic audits as needed. These fees are in line with those that companies pay to have other elements of their business certified and audited each year to help meet the requirements of other dietary needs, such as organic, vegetarian and kosher, or to ensure compliance from a quality assurance (QMS) and food safety (HACCP) point of view. To the best of our knowledge, the fees paid by companies to have their products certified are not carried over to the consumer.

Australian Food & Grocery Council
http://www.afgc.org.au/about-afgc/our-policies/halal-certification/
Why should I have to pay for certification on the products I buy?
The costs of certification for major food and beverage manufacturers are negligible in terms of the total manufacturing cost base and highly unlikely to influence wholesale pricing. Companies that pursue Halal certification generally do so in order to increase sales opportunities to a broader range of consumers.
And the actual, real life costs involved are laid out at this link http://muslimsaustralia.com.au/halal-accreditation-3/ (scroll down to "Schedule of Fees & Charges")

I reckon I'll trust these credible sources rather than some crackpot anti-Halal image circulating the internet.

(EDIT: typo in name of organisation I quoted)

kaiserben said:
Yes, I have, which is why I said that Halal Certification does not fund Islam. My source is reputable, and not some random internet image made in MS Paint by some bigoted fool.
Now you know why i posted that. My ex worked for a group of muslims for all of our marriage, no problems here.

He's become wealthy through legitimate business??, let's get him!!!!!!!!! Almost as bad as those damn baby boomers, ruining everything for everyone.

istock_can-of-worms.jpg

If we're not doing halal, does that mean I can't have a kebab on the way home after a drunken night out? No more late night lamb sandwiches? I ask you, how is that true blue?

Liam_snorkel said:
suck shit.
Ba ha ha, haven't heard that in years.

Actually I wish there was more of this kind of thing (unsolicited religiosity, not shit sucking). Just think if both the koran and the Gideon's bible were issued to the bedside tables hotel / motel chains. You could fold the bed sheets in to a scale model of the Hindu kush Mt range and fashion macrame tanks and Landcruisers and IEDs from the relevant scriptures and enact a war against the Taliban / or repel the infidels, depending on where you stand on the issue.
About time we found out how the koran stacks up against the bible for rolling blunts to.

wereprawn said:
Hmm....If that is the case, why have some some Australian certifiers become so wealthy by running these businesses.
Wait, is it funding the amorphous, nebulous, unidentifiable "Islam"? Or is it funding wealthy individual businesses?

Why you think either is bad is beyond me.

Mmm...wonder how many racist bigots will be attracted to this thread ( like moths to a light )

I better get onto the Australian Defence League and get them onto this thread. They are really good at explaining why we need to boycott any product that is Halal certified.

******* pathetic that anyone can pin Halal certification to terrorism. But dont let the truth get in the way of a good internet hate campaign

If you boycott halal products because you're against paying extra for having it certified for something you don't give a toss about, then you sure as shit better not be eating anything that's Heart Smart, Certified Organic, MSA graded beef...you get the idea. Unless of course you have heart disease, are accutely allergic to all inorganic compounds, and are so paranoid about eating dodgy beef that you need a little logo to tell you it's OK to eat it...even though it's not in the pet food section of the supermarket (which probably wouldn't kill you anyway if you cooked it).

Ducatiboy stu said:
Mmm...wonder how many racist bigots will be attracted to this thread (flies to shit )

I better get onto the Australian Defence League and get them onto this thread. They are really good at explaining why we need to boycott any product that is Halal certified.

******* pathetic that anyone can pin Halal certification to terrorism. But dont let the truth get in the way of a good internet hate campaign
FTFY

Latest posts

Back