Is beer finnings just gelatine?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pixiedust

Reaction score
First time I have used it and that what it smell and feels like.

Could I use gelatine instead? As it is much cheaper.

Yes you can use gelatine, many people do. If you just leave the fermenter alone for a couple of weeks, or cc, then you won't need to. I leave mine for at least another week after fermentation has finished, and have very clear beer. I don't use any fining except irish moss at the end of the boil...when I remember.

My understanding is that finings (brewbrite, irish moss, whirfloc, etc) are added to the end of the boil to help drop out proteins etc from the wort, but gelatin helps aid dropping suspended yeast and haze particles (for lack of a better term) from a fermented beer (either in primary or secondary, or added to the keg).

They both have their place in the brewery, and I am one who uses both. My beers have definitely improved in clarity since using gelatin along with brewbrite.

Yeah it's just gelatine. I bought proper finings first time and then used gelatine after that. I only use it for lagers in my secondary but find it does bring a bit more clarity. Mind you once you start kegging you'll get clear beer after a couple of weeks under pressure and a few pours. That's the way to go :) Actually for Pale Ales I'd prefer a bit of cloudiness and I'm wondering if there's a way to keep some yeast in suspension in a pressurised keg? Might have to do a search for that one

You can also get Isinglass which is made from fish swim bladders, as opposed to gelatine that is made from cow hides. It smells like Asian Shrimp paste - few people seem to use it nowadays as gelatine is heaps more convenient. Kieren's "proper finings" would no doublt just be very expensive repackaged gelatine.

i use both. i find that i get clearer beer with isinglass but its a bit more of an effort to use.

sponge said:
My understanding is that finings (brewbrite, irish moss, whirfloc, etc) are added to the end of the boil to help drop out proteins etc from the wort, but gelatin helps aid dropping suspended yeast and haze particles (for lack of a better term) from a fermented beer (either in primary or secondary, or added to the keg).

They both have their place in the brewery, and I am one who uses both. My beers have definitely improved in clarity since using gelatin along with brewbrite.
This. There are several different products you're talking about when referring to finings, and they work slightly differently. Even if you use fermenter finings such as gelatin, it's still recommended to use whirfloc to drop out those PITA proteins and random crap that can get in the way.

Bribie G said:
You can also get Isinglass which is made from fish swim bladders, as opposed to gelatine that is made from cow hides. It smells like Asian Shrimp paste - few people seem to use it nowadays as gelatine is heaps more convenient. Kieren's "proper finings" would no doublt just be very expensive repackaged gelatine.
Yep, that's why I just got gelatine, that's all the finings were :)

I dont use any finings at any stage, including whirfloc or irishmoss. Just Gelatine while kegging and have never have a cloudy beer unless it's a highly hopped IPA. Works for me.

Latest posts

Back