Is Animal Feed Grain Fit for Human Consumption

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
technobabble66 said:
Should've started with that
[emoji185]
[emoji1]
Yeah, ended the night on Ris, bloody terrible stuff, not. Feeling abit shabby smorning.

Unmalted feed grade wheat is fine for belgium wit beers or lambics. Unlikely to be bug issues if you use it relatively quickly. Just buy enough for the brew. I have used it plenty of times.

I use feed grade corn and raw wheat in another hobby and find it's just fine
However I've used that same corn in a cereal mash for a cream ale and it tasted like I'd poured creamed corn in the beer, so I will be sticking to Polenta as per Bribie's recommendation.
I also use feed grade black strap molasses in other hobbies, and in my beer
A couple of my Scottish and English ales have small amounts of molasses in them, all of which have fared pretty well in comps

Corn is processed with lime Nixtamalization do they do that to Polenta.

I've gotta admit, that 'Lucky Beer" was pretty good last time I drank it... Stupid bottles though.

There are many reasons that barley gets down graded to F1 or feed type barley, it should be still fit for human consumption as long as its been handled correctly.
I have been down graded to feed grade in the past because of an over supply of malt grade in the market and the buyers just dont need to pay the extra for the grain and they know that most farmers cant store shitloads of grain themselves until markets improve.
I use my own unmalted grain or that of my neighbours in some of my brews but I have a good idea of the protien content due to paddock history and fert applications.
All grain recieval sites have testing facillities and could tell you if your grain was F1, F2 or malting grade, I used to commonly take small samples of grain to be tested to them because if it doesnt make malting grade its actually more lucrative to sell it to a local farmer as feed grain rather than recieval sites.
I have been playing around with malting lately but drying/kilning the grain is a PITA and would require some equipment when doing more than a few killos, I tried to malt about 50-100 kg and the germination side was easy, the drying not so.
I would be looking to buy the grain off a farmer where you can ask questions re its storage and handling re chemical useage and buy a good quantity so you can maintain consistency. Look for a good sample of consistant sized grains without stain and with out too many other contaminants eg other seeds or insect debris.

wynnum1 said:
Corn is processed with lime Nixtamalization do they do that to Polenta.
Do they do that with feed grade corn?
Whenever I've asked at CRT, they say it's not treated, just cracked

Nixtamalization is a whole different ball game

It is used to make Horminy, then ground to become Masa flour, than used for tortilla's etc

Nixtamalization is a maize treatment

It is not used for polenta ( which can be made from a number of different starchy ingredients like farro, chestnut flour, millet, spelt, and chickpeas )

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nixtamalization

Back