Is all grain brewed beer 99% sugar free?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beak

Reaction score
Just seen this campaign many of the commercial brewery's are pushing as advertiseing on Facebook.
Question is! Is our all grain brews sugar free? They say yeast eats up all the sugar. To be honest I havnt looked fully at there website promoting sugar free. But thought its a little strange. Because we extract the sugars from the grain to make beer. Has the sugar gone to my brain or have I had to many beers. Please help image.jpg

I dont know anyone drinking beer for its diet benefits ;)

Sugar is a broad term. (Still a tonne of carbs in beer)
I suspect that they are honing in on sucrose though for the advertising promotion though.. Which most of it should of been converted/inverted before and after they ferment it I assume.. Happy to be made an arse of though

MAybe no added sugar? I guess a Saison that has fermented down to 1.000 is sugar free.

Marketing bullshit mes think but shit, if it gets it past the ball and chain roll with it dude!

They also probably aren't including any Belgian Tripel's in that 99.9% sugar free ;)

James squire and associates are advertiseing this website.

gotta laugh. I cant get into the can of worms of the details of sugars, malts, ,,,,,,,sugars etc etc. :lol:

are they pulling the no adjunct sugars card?

I wonder why they're doing it. Maybe some research company has told them that people think their beer has a heap of cane sugar in it.

You'd think that if their target market was actually concerned about that, they'd promote it as 100% 99.9 % pure malt or whatever they think people want to hear.

This sort of stuff makes me want to not buy their product, so good luck with it.

Edit. accidentally added 0.1%.

I'm guessing it has nothing to do with added sugar (i.e. cane sugar). I reckon it is more to do with 'residual' sugar (and probably more accurately carbohydrates generally rather than sugar as we know it). Thereby highlighting the point that 'low carb' beers aren't that much lower in energy than regular mega swill. Most energy in beer comes from the alcohol itself though, the whole carb thing in beer is pretty much BS except for a few examples.

I wouldn't expect any 'sugar' in beer post fermentation - a mixture of other carbohydrates that yield energy for sure - this is where the body comes from in our beers.

On the surface it sounds like a load of bullshit. There must be more than 0.1% sugar in a beer if it has any sort of body to it. On my hydrometer it has a scale on it next to the SG "Approx. grammes of sugar per litre" which I can only assume is governed by the SG itself. At 1004/5 it's 15g/L, at 1010 it's 30g/L, at 1015ish it's 45g/L.

Unless their beers are all around 1000 SG then there's no way they are 99.9% sugar free, in my view anyway. More marketing rubbish. It doesn't have to be fermentable to be a sugar, does it? I keep seeing the term "unfermentable sugars", is it inaccurate?

Dammit, I had to click........... skimmed over a bit of it and if you look at the nutritional panels for the beers they show 0.1% 'sugars' and then a higher amount for 'carbohydrates'. I'm not sure in labeling terms exactly what sugars means, maybe it's the 0.1% of cane sugar that doesn't ferment ;)

Out of interest I looked and a Hahn super dry and it is 99 calories and a LCPA is about 150 calories for 330ml. A reasonable difference I suppose if you're smacking quite a few down............ I'll take the flavour and body though and drink ~30% less if I really need to.

But yes, of course, just marketing shit. Surprisingly they actually state the malts and hops etc used, good info I suppose just to make sure you don't accidentally use them yourself :ph34r:

Rudi 101 said:
I'm guessing it has nothing to do with added sugar (i.e. cane sugar). I reckon it is more to do with 'residual' sugar (and probably more accurately carbohydrates generally rather than sugar as we know it). Thereby highlighting the point that 'low carb' beers aren't that much lower in energy than regular mega swill. Most energy in beer comes from the alcohol itself though, the whole carb thing in beer is pretty much BS except for a few examples.

I wouldn't expect any 'sugar' in beer post fermentation - a mixture of other carbohydrates that yield energy for sure - this is where the body comes from in our beers.
The 1st question in the quiz is how many grams of sugar (cane) in your beer.

Compared to Coca Cola beer must surely be better for your health. There are soft drinks that are 100% sugar-free but that doesn't make them any healthier. I don't really know / care too much about this, but I would much prefer to drink a beverage made from water, malt, yeast and hops than from an unknown number of unknown and unpronounceable ingredients.

I'm not sure either but I think sugars is just that when it comes to labelling. It's a bit misleading though when you consider that what they label as carbohydrates are broken down in the digestive system into glucose etc. anyway, which itself is a carbohydrate, so it doesn't really make any difference. Eventually they end up the same.

Grrrrrrrrrrrr... the title of the web site is a play on words of the popular scare presentation 'Sugar - The Bitter Truth', which in itself is a whole other conversation. Sugar in the '00-10s is what fats were in the '80s and '90s. FRUCTOSE is the evil, deadly, family-killing poison that self-proclaimed health experts and 'informed' TV personalities are fighting against these days. There are some valid reasons for this but fundamentally if you have too much, you will get fat. Much like anything.
If it's stamped on the side of the bottle it has to comply with Food Standards Australia, so I don't think we can question whether that's false. Obviously different beers will have different amounts of unfermented or unfermentable sugars, but in general yes they are low in sugar as governing bodies and scientists define sugar.
What gets my goat is the implication now that because everyone is scared of sugar, anything that is low sugar is good. The corporations react and either advertise that their product is low in sugar (and therefore healthy) or change the product so that it contains less sugar (and therefore healthy). I find it insulting as a consumer. Are we all that naive that we don't actually know what's in our foods and what's good and bad for us, and thus when we get overweight it is naturally due to the evil corporations cramming nasty weight-gaining pollutants into our foods? Well I suppose based on stats we are. Though if you ask me, it's not fructose/fat/grains/GMO that's the problem, it's how much of it we are eating and the amount of physical activity we are doing.

Some of my in-laws are on a sugar free diet at the moment. Literally, they are stating they are on "sugar free". I asked MIL how she goes to make up for the goodness in fruit and she said "no we can eat fruit". I then questioned whether she's aware fruit is very high in sugar, and after disagreeing she baulked (realising she didn't know what she was on about), then FIL says "no it's natural sugar". Of course I rebutted saying that natural or not, it is sugar, and therefore the diet is not sugar free. Suddenly it was processed sugar-free diet. Much like a red-meat vegetarian diet. Moral of the story was that she cut cakes and soft drinks - both of which she used to indulge in - and suddenly due to the miracle of Sarah Wilson's brilliance she was losing weight! She is also walking regularly but that has nothing to do with it.
Another in-law publicly announces they are off sugar and the rhetoric is the same. In reality, she used to eat too much of the wrong things (read: cake, juice, chips, soft drink) and now she isn't. She wasn't managing her diet and now she is. Would you believe, she's losing weight. I skimmed over a page on the book about alcohol and it stated that beer was acceptable as the fructose is mainly broken down by the yeast. It warned against sticky wines because these are super high in sugar - avoid! Telling people not to drink a late season botrytis semillion because it contains sugar is idiotic. It's in a completely different class to soft drink, it's an after dinner sipper and consumed because it tastes beautiful and compliments a dessert. A pleasure in life.

Apart from the marketing bullshit my issue with this is that now as a consumer that doesn't have a weight problem when I want to have something nice I am faced with artificially flavoured crap. What did contain fat moved flavour to sugar. Sugar is now being replaced by artificial sweeteners and the result is watered down, bland, and artificial tasting crap. I haven't had a decent supermarket shelf yoghurt in years. I won't touch diet soft drinks. Big M's clearly taste like low fat milk, so while lacking in flavour they're still high in sugar making them high energy anyway.
I DRINK AND EAT TRASH FOOD BECAUSE I LIKE THE TASTE. I just don't drink or eat a lot of it because it's not good for me. But when I do, I enjoy it. Much like beer.

I think there is no beautiful truth behind beer because while it does have some health benefits it contains alcohol. You can't suddenly wipe the health implications clean because it's low in sugar, some are very low in carbs, and because suddenly everyone who considers themselves 'informed' believes that fructose is the next Hitler. Nothing has changed! AAAARRRGGGGHHHHH!!!!!!!

Where's the rant thread?

All of this 99% this or that bollocks is just that. Bollocks. Those sweets you get from "The Natural Confectionary Company" proudly announce their sweets are 99.9% fat free! Whoop-dee-doo. So is ******* Ebola. But it's full to the brim with ******* sugar! (The Natural Confectionary Company sweets, not Ebola).

"Ebola - zero calories and all natural!"

Latest posts

Back