Irish Veinna Ale

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wolfman

Reaction score
I am out of base malt as the BB is this week end.

I wanted to make an Irish Red Ale. I have some Vienna malt in surplus, so I thought I'd replace the pale with the Vienna?

What do you guys think?

27L Batch

Weyermann Vienna 4.486Kg

Joe white Crystal 0.641Kg

Simpson Chocolate 0.064Kg

Fuggles 35g @ 60

Fuggles 15g @ 10

I am out of base malt as the BB is this week end.

I wanted to make an Irish Red Ale. I have some Vienna malt in surplus, so I thought I'd replace the pale with the Vienna?

What do you guys think?

27L Batch

Weyermann Vienna 4.486Kg

Joe white Crystal 0.641Kg

Simpson Chocolate 0.064Kg

Fuggles 35g @ 60

Fuggles 15g @ 10

probably not strictly to style but still sounds tasty as, i'd do it for experiments sake :)

I have just bottled a Vienna Ale with a similar grist.
First time i have brewed with Vienna as the base. Tasted great on bottling, but proof will be in the conditioning!
Do it!

Was thinking of step mashing as well:

TEMP:
55 for 5
62 10
67 50
72 10
78 10

No problems with using Vienna as a base to an Irish in fact plenty of folk like to debate the difference between viennas and Irish ales. Not sure what your og and ibu s are, but for Irish ales I like to use dark crystal and not more than 6% and just a couple of percent of roast . If my maths is right you've got about double that amount of crystal

I also don't think you need to over fuss the mash a simple single infusion of around 65-67C would be fine IMO

Do you have any roast barley? I'd seriously consider halving that crystal and add maybe 70g of RB.
With all that malty goodness I'd tend to mash at 62 for 40 mins then raise to 72 for 20 mins and then do a mashout to avoid it ending up too sweet.

Yer bribie I have some roast barley. So should I keep the chocolate?

I am going to use wyeast 1084 Irish ale for yeast.

Might go with your mash schedule.

Back