Irish Red Ale

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RobSnoo

Reaction score
Will be doing this next week

23L
2kg Light Dry Malt
1kg Wheat Dry Malt
250g Medium Crystal
150g Roasted Barley
50g Fuggles @ 60 mins
50g Challenger @ 10 mins
Lallemand London ESB @ 18°C

Estimated OG 1.052 FG 1.013 ABV 5.5% in the bottle.

This went down today made up to 23L. I changed the fuggles to 30 mins and dumped cold water in to the boil at zero to stop any further isomerisation(?).

I used spring water from Aldi. The last batch i did with spring water was freaking amazing compared with the Muswellbrook tap water....could just be luck or could be a thing i need to investigate.

Pitched at 22°C, shoved in the fridge andwill ferment at 18°C for 10 days then 4 days at 22°C.

Smells and looks the goods. Will report back soon.

Last edited:
This is amazing after 10 days in the bottle. Beautiful head and tasty with the tiniest hint if toasty notes coming through. Definitely not red but a fantastic beer yum yum

Head lasts to the last mouthful
IMG_20190318_145608_126.jpeg
IMG_20190318_145608_127.jpeg

Geez I only used 20 gram roasted Barley in my extract Irish Reds, along with some CaraRed and CaraAroma..

The recipe in Graham Wheelers "Brew Classic European Beers at Home" is just Pale Malt and ~9% Crystal malt.
Given the colour of the finished beer it would have to be a Medium Crystal. My personal choice would be Bairds Heritage Crystal (it a bit darker so somewhere near 8.7% hits the 30 EBC target).
Given the access Wheeler and Protz had/have to breweries I suspect the recipe is pretty much on the money.
The hopping is interesting, about half and half Challenger and Northdown for bittering with Fuggle (about 0.4g/L)in the last 15 minutes, personally I prefer EKG for finishing maybe at around 0.5g/L. Target is 33IBU.
The best yeast I have found is Irish Ale (the old Guinness yeast), I've brewed this beer many times over the years and find the Irish Ale goes closest. Muntons Gold was a good dry yeast, sadly hard to get nowadays.
Keep the Carbonation very low or serve on mixed gas (have used 40/60), the low carbonation makes a big difference to the taste and mouthfeel of the beer.
Bit of a favorite…
Mark

Edit
Sorry it was the Simpsons Heritage Crystal, not Bairds - and no roast or chocolate in sight.
m

I found i had to up the amount of crystal malt a bit on the recipes i tried to get the perceived sweetness i recall smithwicks tasting of when i was in ireland, kilkenny is the diago international offering of smithwicks, apparently the marketing dept figured international consumers would struggle with the local pronounciation,

A nice irish red is cherry ripe to go through a beer engine to give it the lovely creamy head the style exhibits.

Latest posts

Back