Irish Moss

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Snow

Beer me up, Scotty!
Reaction score
Can anyone explain to me the exact purpose of Irish Moss? I have used it a couple of times because it was in the recipes I used, but I have no idea of what it does. It seems to be used a lot in Stouts and Porters, so I assume it is not a fining agent.

Cheers - Snow

Actually, Irish Moss is indeed a fining agent. It is used in the brew kettle, generally in the last 15 minutes of the boil. It helps coagulate all the trub and settle it to the bottom of the kettle. I use it in everything, not just porters and stouts.

Cheers,
Pete

:chug:

Thanks Pete.

One thing - wouldn't the trub be left behind when you rack from primary to secondary? What are the benefits of leaving trub behind in the kettle? Actually that's two things.

-s.

Irish Moss

Never used and never will.

soak some in water for a couple of hours.....

once you have checked out the colour and smell...you wouldn't use either....

Awfull.

I use Irish Moss in AG brews when I remember.
For extract/kit beers I used to use finings when I racked to secondary. However for my last few brews I haven't and have still had clear beer.

Cheers,
Doc

Maybee it would be better if you wanted clearer beer to lager(cold condition) the beer for a couple of weeks

Back