Irish Moss/whrlfloc

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hophead

Reaction score
I have reached the stage where I want to start using Irish Moss or Whirlfloc. I have a number of queries about their use and the removal of the hot and cold break.

1) Not having tried this before (and not being that rigorous in the removal of hot/cold break) I am not sure but wont this leave a lot of hops in the kettle and will this have a detrimental effect? Should I be using a hop bag which is then transferred to the primary and if so for all hop additions?

2) If some of the trub is transferred to the primary can I still reuse the yeast cake? An obvious solution would be to draw off a starter while under full krausen, but the brew fridge is in the shed and sterilising the tap is more difficult there than in the house where I bottle and rack, so I would prefer to use the yeast cake after racking to the secondary.

3) Which is better Irish Moss/Whirlfloc?

Any guidance?

Thanks

Hophead said:
3) Which is better Irish Moss/Whirlfloc?
It's the same thing hophead

Batz

I bought a small bag of Irish Moss (small flakes of seaweed) and used it on my last brew. Up till then, I was using half a tablet of Whirlfloc per brew with limited results.

I believe that the the basic material is similar, but the processing and appearance of each is quite different...

I have just started my 2nd mash and this time I am going to use irish moss.

I was wondering how much should I be using? I am doing a mini batch with a total final volume of 8 litres.

A pinch. For eight litres I wouldn't even bother with the moss. It will probably be all gone before it clears anyhow

Are Irish Moss and Whirlfloc tablets the only way Home Brewer's whirlpool?

Or are there other methods suitable for HBer's?

am said:
Are Irish Moss and Whirlfloc tablets the only way Home Brewer's whirlpool?

Or are there other methods suitable for HBer's?
[post="54293"][/post]​

Not too sure what you are asking here :blink:

Irish Moss or Whirlfoc tablets ( the same thing) are added too the end of the boil , it is still whirlpooled to drop the hops and hot break to the middle of the kettle so as not to include it in the fermenter when racking off.

Batz

The holy grail of clearing agents is supposedly koppafloc, which is professional grade stuff. I haven't tried it, but I hear you only use the tiniest amount (1g/10 litres or something).

barfridge said:
The holy grail of clearing agents is supposedly koppafloc, which is professional grade stuff. I haven't tried it, but I hear you only use the tiniest amount (1g/10 litres or something).
[post="54328"][/post]​

And correct you are Mr Fridge ! :beer:

Batz

i posted a pic of the raw(seaweed) stage of koppafloc awhile ago.its a red type kelp seaweed from somewhere that i cant remember off hand. :blink: somewhere where the locals cover there heads in tea towels from memory.

cheers
big d

Nhulunbuy?? :lol: :lol:

Sorry that was not called for :p

Batz

time to check the height of the trees on your block batz. :p

Knew I should have said the Barossa !

Batz

big tree land based game fishing ;)
works every time :D

cheers
big d

Not too sure what you are asking here

Irish Moss or Whirlfoc tablets ( the same thing) are added too the end of the boil , it is still whirlpooled to drop the hops and hot break to the middle of the kettle so as not to include it in the fermenter when racking off.

What i meant was, do ppl use any other methods (besides adding irish moss) as big breweries use machinery to whirlpool don't they?

am said:
[What i meant was, do ppl use any other methods (besides adding irish moss) as big breweries use machinery to whirlpool don't they?
[post="54414"][/post]​

am

There are 2 parts to this - the whirlfloc / irish moss assists in the formation and settling out of the break material.

The whirlpool removes the break from the wort. Usually this is enough in a mega brewery without using whirlfloc, microbreweries do use whirlfloc or similar. The whirlpool is formed by pumping wort into a vessel at an angle.

Cheers
Pedro

Latest posts

Back