Irish Lager

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yardy

BI3V
Reaction score
g'day brewers,

i brewed one of my faves, an irish red, on the weekend (big fcuking deal you say :p )

in brewing classic styles, jz mentions something about irish reds being done with either a traditional yeast or sometimes with a lager yeast, i don't have the book in front of me but it's something along those lines, just thinking about it and i think an irish would make a very nice lager :icon_cheers:

anyone tried this with one of their favourite pommy ales ?

cheers

Dave

i tried it once not long ago Yardy, with what i thought to be pretty good results albeit I am comparing Wyeast1084 with Wyeast2206, same grain bill of M/O, Vienna, Carapils, Melanoiden and a wee bit of roast. The 1084 beer was very nice, 1084 rarely makes a bad ale, it was a little hot in alcohol to start but came good, the hotness = fermentation.
The 2206 finished cloying and a very rich finish although it was extremely clean and fermented out, I got thinking the melanoiden needed to be reduced or gone and maybe up the roast for color and also drop the vienna on the lager version. Its a widely interpreted beer as far as color goes, i.e a good grain tester.

Latest posts

Back