Irish Dry Stout

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
looks tasty ray, just the right amount of hops, roast etc.

i'm curious with a beer like this what you do about mash pH. i assume you've got soft water down in wollongong like we do here. have you tried mucking around with adding the dark grains late, chalk etc? i've found with roasty stouts my beers come out too acidic, i'm wondering whether chalk is a good idea. then again maybe i go over the top with the dark grains.
any words of wisdom?

Hi Ray,

How would this recipe go with an English ale yeast. I have Wyeast1028 and Wlp007. I would lean toward using the 007, but would appreciate your advice?

Cheers
JFF

Good day Ray
Looks good. You have inspired me to have another go at brewing a dry stout. My other attempts have been quite bland.
PS Mel was telling us all how excellent your kolsch is. I might be able to get a taste if any is left after judging (hope there are not too many kolsches).

Barry,

I had a chance to try Ray's Kolsch and Bock recently at his place. I'm sober when I write this, but his Kolsch is by far the best beer I have ever tasted. The hop influence are like opening a fresh bag of flowers and sticking your face in it! Awesome beer, if entered in competitions like Gerard's upcoming one for Paddy's, mere mortal brewers like myself don't stand a chance.

Great beer Ray.

Cheers - Brett.

Hi
I dont play around with the water much as we so have soft water here in the Gong, but I might add half a teaspoon of chalk in the mash and sparge water. You will find the Carafa smooths things out and do not go overboard with and roasted barley.

The yeast JFF is mentioning will work well for a stronger stout, but I feel if you want to make a good Dry Irish Stout WLP004 is the yeast to use.
Cheers
Ray

Thanks Brett
Like I said to you it takes time, experience and a lot of patience. What can I say I think its 6 weeks old if that and I would guess I only have 7 bottles left. I have no patience when its in the bottle.
Cheers
Ray

i would also say the 1028 london ale yeast be good for an dry stout too

Ray, Jazman .... thanks for the advice guys.

Back