Irish Ale yeast for an amber ale?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MashPaddler

Reaction score
I have a healthy 2.5L wyeast irish ale starter ready to pitch. I was thinking of brewing an american amber ale the following this afternoon, and would welcome any thoughts before mashing in:

batch size 23L
ABV 5.63%
IBU 46
Colour 19.5 SRM
Efficiency 82% biab

5.3 kg marris otter
250g special b
150g roasted barley
100g melanoiden malt
100g caramel 120

67c for 90 minutes
2L sparge
boil 60 minutes
columbus 25g @ 60 min
columbus 20g @ 15 min

As this will be my first beer to be kegged (YAY!) don't want to put a second rate beer down.

Cheers

J

Irish ale yeast is great for a wide variety of ales, not just stout. I would have no hesitation using it for American ale styles as it drops like a rock after a few days, as opposed to the annoying West Coast yeasts that hang around krausening forever. Particularly if kegging, you should get a nice bright brew.

Also it quite happily chugs along at low 20s without producing a twang, so you can crank em through quicker.

awesome, thanks for this. I might keep it running and drop another wort on it once this one is done and harvest some this arvo for a future run.

Agreed, I think it will taste delicious.

How would it go for a mid strength golden ale(3.5%) ?

Just using 85% pilsner with wheat and carapils. Only hopped to 24ibu

Irish ale yeast is definitely one of my "go-to" yeasts. Solid in a variety of styles. Amber and Golden (mid) ale included. Really like it in American brown ales.

Pratty- I should preface the previous comment with I've not done a mid strength, but have used it in a golden ale with good results.

Cheers

Ended up with a robust porter with the recipe, next time will make with 100g roast barley. Still very tasty though and the yeast worked a treat.

its a great yeast. the oatmeal stout i recently made had a dry, crisp finish from this yeast. hope i can replicate that with my golden ale.

I recently made an oatmeal stout (my first) but the Irish Ale smack pack I bought from the LHBS was dead. Ended up having to pitch a an American Ale yeast I'd collected from the previous brew. Really wishing the Irish had worked out now!

Back