IPA with Cascade, Centennial & Mosaic

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kalthor

Reaction score
I have previously made an IPA using a can of Thomas Cooper’s IPA and loaded it up with a total of 80g each of Cascade, Centennial & Mosaic hops. It turned into a great beer, however I want to try and make an IPA with a bit less malt character. I've altered the recipe according to a few different posts on this site and after running it through Ian's speadsheet I ended up with the recipe below.

Any comments or suggestions would be great, especially in regards to the hop schedule.

1.7kg Thomas Cooper Pale Ale
1.0kg LDME
0.5kg Dry Wheat Malt
0.5kg Dextrose
60g Cascade Hops
60g Centennial Hops
60g Mosaic Hops
1x Safale US-05 Yeast

20g Centennial @ 10min
20g Cascade @ 10min
20g Mosaic @ 10min

10g Centennial @ 5min
10g Cascade @ 5min
10g Mosaic @ 5min

30g Centennial @ Dryhop
30g Cascade @ Dryhop
30g Mosaic @ Dryhop

Total: 21L
OG: 1.060
IBU: 52.2
ABV: 6.2%
EBC: 8.8 (a bit on the low side of an IPA but I'm ok with that)

Sorry, should have posted that as well.... (photo attached of the beer as well)

1.7kg Thomas Cooper’s IPA
1.0kg Light Dried Malt Extract
1.0kg Coopers Brew Enhancer 2
80g Cascade Hops
80g Centennial Hops
80g Mosaic Hops
1x Safale US-05 Yeast

Similar hop schedule, 50g of each hop for dryhop.

I've been playing with the idea of chucking in some Willamette there as well but not sure how much or when to add it.

20160222_002644.jpg

well brew enhancer 2 is 50% dextrose, 25% maltodextrin and 25% LME. so what you would be swapping is 250 grams of maltodextrin and 250 grams of barley LME for 500grams of wheat malt. Not sure if you would tell the difference to be honest. the maltodextrin gives mouthfeel from the unfermented sugars while the wheat will give mouthfeel from the extra protein so that will be a subtle difference to maltiness while perhaps preserving the mouthfeel. Depends how malty the first attempt was an how much you want to reduce it by. I would think the proposed recipe won't make that much difference but I am not too experience with DME. If you want a more dramatic effect that you will definitely notice you could go for the tin, 1kg LDME and 1KG dextrose?

you've got a tried and true combination of hops there. but you could add willamette to the dry hop addition without affecting the bitterness.

Well, put the beer down today with the above ingredients and the following hop schedule:

20g Centennial @ 15min
20g Cascade @ 15min
10g Mosaic @ 10min
10g Centennial @ 5min
10g Cascade @ 5min
10g Willamette @ 5min

Will dry hop with:

Centennial 30g
Cascade 30g
Mosaic 20g
Willamette 20g

Total: 21L
OG: 1.060
IBU: 52.2

Now we wait and see......

I'd leave the Willamette out of the dry hop personally, i wouldn't have it in there at all to be honest. Hop schedule looks pretty good, could probably just up the amount of late addition amounts a bit. Which looks like you could have in your original recipe.

Latest posts

Back