Ipa Recipie Help Please

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jameson

Reaction score
Hi all I was going to do a apa but think I could have the ingredients for a ipa. I do love hardcore, beast, torpedo and west coast for the odd hop hit. I will be bottling this brew so it doesn't disappear while conditioning (the quality control dude in my brewery is a right pig by having a schooner most nights) lol. Plus it will be good to have a few big beers for July when the family and friends are here for my wedding. I have been through the sn and found one which I could get close to. Anyway what I have is....
25kg bb ale malt
1kg med crystal
250g caramalt
Chinook 75g
Perle 40g
Simcoe 70g
Amarillo 30g
Cascade 90g
Topaz 40g
Yeast scotch ale 3/4 of a Tallie not sure on this one as it seams to be in layers but looking at its output it would hold up the malts in a heavy hop ipa? Or a American ale yeast from a beer that is going to keg tomorrow.

I was thinking.
6kg ale malt
350g crystal
Chinook 10g@ 60, 30
Pearl10@60
Simcoe 10@60 20@30,10 and 20 dry hop
Cascade 20@30,10 and 50 dry hop
Amarillo 30 dry hop
This is my 3rd biab and first IPA. I am not skilled in recipe building yet so any input will be appreciated.
Thanks Jameson

Hi all I was advised to drop the pearl I can up the chinook maybe to 20g @60? I have been trying brewmate but the download not opening. Saturday is getting away from me and would appreciate any suggestions.

If no chilling put you 60min hops in at 45, your 30 min hops at 0 , your 10 min hops in the cube just as it fills before sealing and keep the dry hops as is.

Drop the pearl and use the 30 amarillo in its place so something like this

Chinook 10g@ 45, 0
Amarillo 30g@ 45
Simcoe 10 @45, 20@0, in cube and 20 dry hop
Cascade 20@0, 20 in cube and 50 dry hop

Cheers

Thanks Brad will give her a go :) time to start the hand mill.
And that is a 45min boil all up nice.

Thanks Brad will give her a go :) time to start the hand mill.
And that is a 45min boil all up nice.

Still boil for the normal time. just put your first hops in with 45min left to go.

Edit, When do big malty beers I usually boil for 90 minutes.

Cheers

While we're talking US IPAs, how does this one look?

Boil Size: 41.30 l
Post Boil Volume: 29.94 l
Batch Size (fermenter): 25.00 l
Estimated OG: 1.068 SG
Estimated Color: 27.8 EBC
Estimated IBU: 58.1 IBUs
Brewhouse Efficiency: 72.00 %
Boil Time: 90 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amt Name
6.00 kg Pale Malt, Halcyon 79.5 %
0.62 kg Munich I 8.2 %
0.46 kg Crystal, Medium 6.2 %
0.39 kg Wheat, Flaked 5.1 %
0.08 kg Black Malt 1.0 %

10.00 g Columbus (Tomahawk) [14.70 %] - Boil 60 min 13.2 IBUs
30.00 g Northern Brewer [11.40 %] - Boil 60.0 mi 30.7 IBUs

20.00 g Simcoe [13.00 %] - Boil 20.0 min 14.2 IBUs

40.00 g Cascade [5.50 %] - Boil 0.0 min
20.00 g Simcoe [13.00 %] - Boil 0.0 min
10.00 g Columbus (Tomahawk) [14.70 %] - Boil 0.0 min

20.00 g Simcoe [13.00 %] - Dry Hop
50.00 g Cascade [5.50 %] - Dry Hop

Lose the Munich I?

Hop schedule is a bit all over the place too. That's all the Simcoe I have. Would rather avoid the dominant Cascade taste, but only have - 40g Amarillo, Summit, (more) Columbus, Challenger, B Saaz, Nelson S, Fuggles, Goldings. etc.

Recipe is not adjusted for No Chill, though I will when I make it.

grain bill looks fine, cept for the black malt, don't really need that in an AIPA

No worries brad just topped the kettle up to 38l for 90 min boil. On the plus side the kids got dropped of by there gran and my 8 year old was like that looks like fun dad so she ended up milling 3kgs for me @ 50cent a kg.

Thanks re: grain bill. Something like this cooking up tomorrow afternoon.
That hop schedule might change a bit still, pare the Cascade right back so it doesn't dominate.
The black malt is just for a little extra copper colour, in at mashout, so zero flavour impact I hope.

50c is a good deal. Win win for all parties!

50c is a good deal. Win win for all parties!

She still a bit young for mowing the lawn yet so she was happy to be giving me a hand makeing the beer. Hope I don't get a call from the head master with a please explain. I can always say it was our science experiment lol just mashing out now so it going to be a lovely night round the fire or 4ring burner anyway.
Cheers and beers all :)

Hi brad those 0 additions in the cube pull them back to 5min or add to dry hop?

Got ya brad original with no pearl and the Amarillo moved. Two to many lc quiet Americans now to weigh the hops out before that Jameson beast :icon_drool2:

Back