Ipa Recipe

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lfc_ozzie

Reaction score
Hey Guys,

Just wondering if this recipe looks good,

Contents
1x coopers IPA
1kg Light DME
1kg of wheat malt
US-05 Yeast

Hops
Fuggles 20g @ 30
Fuggles 10g @ 10
Fuggles 10g @ flameout
Fuggles 20g dry hopped on day 5

Now i was planning a 9 litre boil which means i would need to use the kilo of DME to get the pre boil to 1.040 as per Ian's Excel sheet. Then proceed with a 30 min boil adding first hop addition, then after 20mins second, then 1-2 mins from end add the wheat malt and the Coopers IPA kit, finally at flame out add the last hop addition. Cool mix to around 28-30c and add to fermentor mix with cool water to 19l. Hopefully temp will be around 20c and pitch yeast. After 5 days add the dry hop addition and wait a further 5-10 days before bottling.

Now i can replace the hops with cascade as i have about 60g of these on hand as i read they are better for a IPA style beer, or i could use them as a combo with the fuggles??

Any help much appreciated :)

Cheers guys

Also on one last note i want to start doing more DME recipes with out the kit cans (coopers etc), to do these i would need to start using specialty grains correct?

personally i'd keep the fuggles, but i like a good english ipa, OTH if your into something more fruitier like an american style ipa, cascade will work too.

do some reaserch on the taste of dry hopped fuggles, i get the feeling it might not be done often

why the kg of wheat malt?

us-05 yeast once again comes down to, english or amercian style? but, in my opinion, will probably taste good in either

have you ever used crystal malts? if your already doing a 30 minute boil, i can highly reccomend them, as will anyone else on the site

-Phill

personally i'd keep the fuggles, but i like a good english ipa, OTH if your into something more fruitier like an american style ipa, cascade will work too.

do some reaserch on the taste of dry hopped fuggles, i get the feeling it might not be done often

why the kg of wheat malt?

us-05 yeast once again comes down to, english or amercian style? but, in my opinion, will probably taste good in either

have you ever used crystal malts? if your already doing a 30 minute boil, i can highly reccomend them, as will anyone else on the site

-Phill

I might leave the dry hop out then, this will be the first time i have used the fuggles really only used cascade so far, does anyone know of a site that lists good hop combinations?

I had the kg of wheat lying around and have been told its good with head retention, i could use half the amount and about 300g of dextrose instead?

I did a pre boil on my last batch with 200g of choc grains.

This is basically what i have on hand at the moment, coopers IPA, kg of wheat and light DME, about 500g dex, 100g fuggles, 60g cascade, US-05 x 1 and 2kg pearl barley (JakeSm recommendation)

Your initial recipe looks good enough to run with if your gut is telling you it is right. Looks like a bit too much wheat extract for my preferences but I never liked the stuff so horses for courses and all that. PItch some slurry instead of a single pack of US05 if you can though - that'll be a fairly big beer.

2kg pearl barley (JakeSm recommendation)
Fucken hell. Just don't read anything he says. Don't put simcoe in your soups and don't put pearl in your beer.

Just a quick question, just stocking up on some supplies due to selling my old iPhone, if i buy specialty grains that are cracked how long will they last before i need to use them? or should i just buy them uncracked and crack with a rolling pin or such?

On a side note, please don't disrespect JakeSm he has helped me a lot and i don't see the need to be rude to anyone, especially as no one is perfect :)

Thanks guys :)

By pearl barley do you mean this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pearl_barley

If so, what is the expected result from adding it in?

If not, what do you mean?

If you buy cracked grains you should use them within a week or so. Maybe a bit longer if they are kept sealed. Cracking with a rolling pin can be done but isn't super easy or effective in my experience.

jakesm recommends that new brewers toast pearl barley as a biscuit substitute.

Where does he suggest that?

Even if it were a good sub (which I highly doubt) - 2 kg?

Jake - explain yourself please.

In some thread. You can do a search if you like.

OK.

I presume 2 kg was a typo by lfc as Jake recommends 200g rather than 2000g.

Not having tried it (ie home toasted pearl barley) I can't state for sure that it is a bad idea but none of it makes any sense to my befuddled brain. My mind is askew from some of the other bits and pieces but I'm going to leave that alone.

I would suggest to any beginner that they continue to research and ask questions before using vast quantities of pearl barley and examine what mashing is and which malts require it.

My presumption is that it's simply a communication problem - not everyone is super literate (unfortunate but there you go) but I take your point.

He's just saying he has 2kg on hand, manticle, rather than he plans to use it all at once.

Regardless, the advice he's been given is pretty much to soak it in hot water till it breaks up, I read no mention of boiling afterwards but let's hope that was assumed(?). I can't see any reason to defend such advice. Proper grain is cheap as chips and the variety available is ridiculous..

OK. Following now.

This world of brewing advice seems to have become slightly Lynchian of late.

Like Bum said mate, your initial recipie does look pretty good and will make good beer, go for it

plenty of options available though it jsut depends on if you have a style or taste your aiming for, personally i'd dum down the wheat, it is great for head retention, but you don't need heaps of it.

either way, it'll stil taste good so no worries

I toast the pearl barley untill golden with some light dried malt sprinkled over it. I use this in my mini mash with the other types of grain. Then proceed as usual to boil the wort adding enough malt to give a gravity of 1.040. Start you hop additions and you all know the rest.

I wouldnt use it entirly as a biscuit substitute, though i find the way i use it, it gives some similar characters to the brew, like the slight nutty bready flavours.
The last batch i toasted with some honey drizzled over it and it works quite nice for darker styles.

Im not urging anyone try this if they are not into experimenting and yes as BUM said it is deffinatley not needed as there are massive quantites of grains around, though this was my experiment one day and it still works quite nicely everytime i brew with it.

I only gave ozzie advice on it because he was wondering about and wanted to give it a go. I have never posted a topic or anything as such telling all brewers to try this in there brews.

Again this is just something i use as an extra in some brews and it has never failed to produce great results, but again it is deffinately not needed.

Ozzie your recipe looks pretty good and if you are intending to use the pearl barley, i would just use 200g as i do in all my mashes. Its up to you however much you wanna use go for it and see how it turns out with it in there and let people know that it is not harmfull at all.

Sorry for causing these issues everyone but its totally my thing and am not trying to change the world...haha

Cheers jake.

Back