IPA recipe - hop additions?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sparkycameron

Reaction score
Hey all,

Looking to brewing my first IPA (BIAB - No CHill) and would love your thoughts on the recipe below,
any feedback is welcome but I'm interested if the hop additions are enough / too much or too similar etc

cheers!

Code:
BeerSmith 2 Recipe Printout - http://www.beersmith.com
Recipe: Sparky's IPA
Brewer: SparkyCameron
Asst Brewer: 
Style: American IPA
TYPE: All Grain
Taste: (30.0) 

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Boil Size: 33.58 l
Post Boil Volume: 27.04 l
Batch Size (fermenter): 21.00 l   
Bottling Volume: 19.30 l
Estimated OG: 1.063 SG
Estimated Color: 17.5 EBC
Estimated IBU: 51.6 IBUs
Brewhouse Efficiency: 70.00 %
Est Mash Efficiency: 86.7 %
Boil Time: 90 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amt                   Name                                     Type          #        %/IBU         
4.00 kg               Pale Malt, Traditional Ale (Joe White) ( Grain         1        66.7 %        
1.25 kg               Munich, Light (Joe White) (17.7 EBC)     Grain         2        20.8 %        
0.50 kg               Wheat Malt, Malt Craft (Joe White) (3.5  Grain         3        8.3 %         
0.25 kg               Crystal (Joe White) (141.8 EBC)          Grain         4        4.2 %         
30.00 g               Chinook [13.00 %] - Boil 60.0 min        Hop           5        38.4 IBUs     
15.00 g               Amarillo [9.20 %] - Boil 10.0 min        Hop           6        4.9 IBUs      
15.00 g               Cascade [5.50 %] - Boil 10.0 min         Hop           7        2.9 IBUs      
15.00 g               Centennial [10.00 %] - Boil 10.0 min     Hop           8        5.3 IBUs      
10.00 g               Amarillo [9.20 %] - Boil 0.0 min         Hop           9        0.0 IBUs      
10.00 g               Cascade [5.50 %] - Boil 0.0 min          Hop           10       0.0 IBUs      
10.00 g               Centennial [10.00 %] - Boil 0.0 min      Hop           11       0.0 IBUs      
10.00 g               Amarillo [9.20 %] - Dry Hop 21.0 Days    Hop           12       0.0 IBUs      
10.00 g               Cascade [5.50 %] - Dry Hop 21.0 Days     Hop           13       0.0 IBUs      
10.00 g               Centennial [10.00 %] - Dry Hop 21.0 Days Hop           14       0.0 IBUs

Looks pretty good man, i done a few of IPA's like yours the only thing that you could do is step your late additions from 20 to 15 to 10 to 5 to flame out to give more depth of flavour in the finished beer. Otherwise looks good. Just try it out and then tweak the recipe to suit your taste.
Also you can up the sulfates in your brew water to help push hoppiness but ive tried it and haven't noticed a difference worth worrying about.
Im sure someone on here will have other things you could try too.
I used ale yeasts a few times and lager yeast a few times they both have their merits. All up to your taste.

I'd look at bumping up the dry hops, 1g/L is a on the low side. I'd aim around 6g/L personally.

This is a recipe I like to compare my late additions against when building an IPA.

felten said:
I'd look at bumping up the dry hops, 1g/L is a on the low side. I'd aim around 6g/L personally.
:huh: Do you guys have an unlimited hop supply or something?

looks fine, plenty of munich and malt to help with the bitterness,

what mash temp ?

just because your NC you could swap your 15 g at 10 to 10 at 10 and 15 at 0.

But try this first to see what you think

slash22000 said:
:huh: Do you guys have an unlimited hop supply or something?
Not much point building an AIPA if you're gonna skimp on the hops.

thanks so far guys...
mxd: Not really sure about temp... either 65 or 67degs. I wouldn't mind a bit of body in it but don't want a heap of sweetness in it either... just balanced

6g/L seems like a lot of dry hopping.. I don't make beer to save money so the cost doesn't worry me, the only thing that concerns me is i've never used that many hops (nor have i made an IPA) is there a minimum level of dry hopping that should be adhered to?

That looks like a reasonable dose of hops to me.
Have you used chinook for bittering before?
I'm not sure, you might end up with fruit punch
but I haven't tried it early.
Is that dry hopping supposed to be 21 days?

for IPA's I'll go for a more on the dry side so 65 at the max, you've got plenty of malt in there, try and get her down to a 1:012, about 82% attentuation

Back