IPA recipe help

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Aahh good.
Then i just need to read a little more on the flavour chemistry :D

...Or is it just easier to accept the minimums in Bru'n Water and focus on other stuff, do you think?

EDIT - or rather: mants, why do you chose to add extra to the boil, rather than just stick it all in the mash/sparge?

Like everything - brew, taste, think, relate results to reading and tweak, brew, taste, read.
The levels of nerd you apply are up to you but the principles are the same.

Went with the recipe in thread#10, with a modified Mash schedule of 65/72/78 for 70/20/2.
It'll then probably sit in the cube, in the queue, for ~3-4wks.
Fingers crossed!

Thanks to everyone for their help & suggestions!! Most appreciated

Was sampled by a few at the MM xmas bash on sunday. It'd had ~3 weeks in the bottle by then.
All good feedback, i believe.
All the basics were good - carb, mouthfeel, etc
Bitterness seemed definitely on the strong side, but quite smooth.
Hops flavour & aroma good, but was lower than the XPAs & DIPAs at the bash. However, they all seemed to have 50-100% more dry hopping than mine, so it might be i just need to up my dry hopping. Good balance of fruity & resin/herbal.
Nice malty backbone, but i'd like to bring out a little more oomph next time - whether that's more Munich or Wheat to get the specific effect I'm after (e.g.: like Yob's APAs/IPAs) i'm not sure.
Pretty happy with the results, tbh.
I now just need to do a 2nd batch using the chiller, then compare.

Back