Ipa Or English Bitter

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wbosher

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I've now got two brews under my belt...although I haven't tasted either of them yet so don't know if they were successful or not. First one a Mangrove Jacks Pilsner, and the other a Coopers Lager (with the new DIY kit). I also added some Saaz hops to the lager as I've heard it's a little bland on it's own. I'm going to try to leave them for the summer, or at least spring
icon_wink.gif

Next, I would like to do something quite bitter. I was thinking either an IPA or English Bitter. Was hoping someone could give me some suggestions of some good kits for either, and if they are good straight out of the can or if they need a little tweaking...nothing too complicated though just yet.

Cheers.
icon_smile.gif

English bitter isn't really all that bitter at all. The Coopers English Bitter tin is supposed to be really nice even when done as per instructions. I have used the Coopers IPA kit and can recommend it as the best tin I ever used. I did trick it out with some extras though. Bung in a bunch of late English hops (EKG and/or Styrian would work great) and use some spec malts to liven up the flavour even more.

[EDIT: my typing seems to be getting worse on a daily basis]

Thanks bum, just a few more questions...

>Do you think the the Coopers brew enhancer 2 would do the trick?
>About the hops, I've heard the names Amarillo, Chinook, Columbus and Cascade mentioned quite a bit when it comes to this style of beer. Sound ok?
>Also, would you boil, steep or dry hop. Basically what I'm asking is, in your opinion, what would you use the hops for in the IPA?

>Do you think the the Coopers brew enhancer 2 would do the trick?
Yep, can't see why not. Better than straight dex or sugar anyway. A little crystal really can liven a kit up though. Consider it.

>About the hops, I've heard the names Amarillo and Cascade mentioned quite a bit when it comes to this style of beer. Sound ok?
Yeah, a lot of people seem to really like US hops with this kit. I'm pretty sure the hops used in the tin are Styrian Goldings so I liked how UK hops worked. Horses for courses, naturally.

>Also, would you boil, steep or dry hop. Basically what I'm asking is, in your opinion, what would you use the hops for in the IPA?
Me? I'd do all three. But for simplicity's sake, a 15 min addition would work well if using UK hops or a large 5 min addition for US hops. As suggested above, I'd lean towards EKG and Styrian Goldings for this kit but Fuggles works too, IMO.

Sweet, my LHBS has Styrian Goldings pellets. :)

Need to do a bit of research on how to use them. I've done the teabag style finishing hops, just steep and throw it in, but I don't know too much about the other techniques yet.

Thanks again.

Steeping will work too if that's what you're more comfortable doing at the moment. Adding hops to any kit in any reasonable fashion will pretty much always produce better results.

If the IPA is bitter enough and doesn't need anymore bitterness, I might try dry hopping (just chucking into FV after fermentation is complete, right?). This way looks a lot cheaper that the pre-made teabag type. :)

Dry hopping is mainly for flavour/aroma rather than bittering?

My current brewing I'm "sampling" is the Coopers IPA and I am very happy with it! Age does it wonders though, I want to keep it another month and I think it will mellow even more.

My current brewing I'm "sampling" is the Coopers IPA and I am very happy with it! Age does it wonders though, I want to keep it another month and I think it will mellow even more.

Yep, I think I've been swayed in the direction of the Coopers IPA with BE2, and EKG and/or Styrian hops. (thanks bum :))

Will probably steep or dry hop, from what I understand Coopers IPA is bitter enough on it's own so really just after the falovour/aroma.

Can't wait, just need to get myself a shitload more bottles. Already got 60 bottles spoken for. It's going to be a great summer. :D

Looks like you got the correct hops for an English style IPA. I would not say the Coopers IPA is real bitter but I like hoppy American IPA with loads of hops. Dry hopping gives mostly aroma and a bit of flavour not sure how EKG or Styrians go dry hopping but should be fine.
You can always do this as a tester then adjust if needed on the next batch.

P.S. I have done the Coopers IPA a few times and I reckon it is probably one of the best cans along with the Irish Stout with the Sparkling as a good runner up.

not sure how EKG or Styrians go dry hopping but should be fine.
I know both are traditionally used for dry hoping but I understand plugs are preferred over pellets. Can't see it being a huge issue in a k&b IPA though - not going to be a hugely subtle beer, you know?

wbosher, if I was me I'd want to get a bit more flavour from the hops for this kit and would be steeping or doing a short boil. Dry hopping will work though. Good luck.

I've dry hopped with both hops (pellets) a few times now and enjoy the characters they give.

1g/L, dry hopped during cold conditioning, 3-5 days. Hops in loose.

I too rate the Coopers IPA as one of the best kits out there. I'll be grabbing a couple cans from Beerbelly this week...

I pretty much always do a small boil for my hop additions ( I struggle using anything other than Galaxy lately - i'm addicted to it) , and if you're going to a LHBS for hops then I'd highly recommend using malt (either liquid or dry) rather than dextrose or brew enhancers.

My favourite recipe so far

1 can IPA
1 can liquid amber malt (or can use light malt - dried or liquid is fine)
20 - 30 grams of hop pellets (split into 3 even portions)

make up a 10:1 ratio boil ie 3 litres of water to 300g malt or 5 litres of water to 500g malt - you get the idea

(i don't boil the kits - heard about isohops in them going stupid so i don't just in case)

once it's boiing I go for 1/3 hops at 20 mins, 1/3 hops at 10mins and 1/3 hops at 0 mins (when you turn the flame off)

once off the flame i add all the remaining goop (kit and malt) and dump the whole lot into the fermenter with a bag of ice (my version of wort chilling) top it up with cold water, hope for a temp of around 20 celsius and add either Nottingham or Safale US05 and let go at 18 degrees for 2 weeks. good quality yeast is worth buying from the LHBS too :)

good luck, I think mini boils are the way to go for flavour.

I too rate the Coopers IPA as one of the best kits out there. I'll be grabbing a couple cans from Beerbelly this week...

I pretty much always do a small boil for my hop additions ( I struggle using anything other than Galaxy lately - i'm addicted to it) , and if you're going to a LHBS for hops then I'd highly recommend using malt (either liquid or dry) rather than dextrose or brew enhancers.

1 can IPA

make up a 10:1 ratio boil ie 3 litres of water to 300g malt or 5 litres of water to 500g malt - you get the idea

(i don't boil the kits - heard about isohops in them going stupid so i don't just in case)

once it's boiing I go for 1/3 hops at 20 mins, 1/3 hops at 10mins and 1/3 hops at 0 mins (when you turn the flame off)

once off the flame i add all the remaining goop (kit and malt) and dump the whole lot into the fermenter with a bag of ice (my version of wort chilling) top it up with cold water, hope for a temp of around 20 celsius and add either Nottingham or Safale US05 and let go at 18 degrees for 2 weeks. good quality yeast is worth buying from the LHBS too :)

Wow, that doesn't actually sound too difficult. I might just have to give that a try when I have finished my lager. :D

1 can IPA

That sounds so good I can almost taste it now. Might just add this one to my list of things to do. :beer:

If using the malt, do you not need to add dextrose? According to the Coopers website they recommend:

* 1.7kg can Thomas Coopers IPA
* 500g Light Dry Malt
* 300g Dextrose

Remember that they also recommend fermenting at 26C or so...

Yeah, you can replace some of the malt with dextrose like that if you wish to thin out the body some. However, it will also knock back the maltiness which I think is important for the style. YMMV.

So maybe 1kg of DME and forget the dextrose? Or is that too much?

EDIT: My LHBS doesn't supply Coopers!!!!! Anyone tried the Mangrove Jacks IPA?

So maybe 1kg of DME and forget the dextrose? Or is that too much?

EDIT: My LHBS doesn't supply Coopers!!!!! Anyone tried the Mangrove Jacks IPA?

spot on 1kg of DME and not dextrose... yummy...

report back on the Mangrove Jacks (give it a go for those of us that havent tried it)

and cannot recommend highly enough, tossing the can yeast and getting a decent one (and ferment at 18-20) if temp control is achievable.

and further to this.. I find pitching temp to be highly important, i found funky flavours when pitching at 30 then bringing down to 20.. so now i always pitch at ferment temp...

It comes in a pouch, not a tin. Could make pouring hot water in there, and getting everything out a little interesting!

http://www.mangrovejacks.com/core.php?psec...es&ccode=AU

I find pitching temp to be highly important, i found funky flavours when pitching at 30 then bringing down to 20..

Pitching at 30?! :eek: I thought low 20s was the idea temp...at least that's where I try to pitch (in my vast experience :lol: ), and try to keep it there - generally between 18 and 22c..give or take a degree or two.

Anyway...the pouch! Never seen such a thing

Back