IPA hop schedule creation

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Matplat

Reaction score
Afternoon all,

Just after some advice with creating an IPA. I've decided I need one available for an event Im brewing for in 8 weeks time, and have a brew ready to bottle this weekend which I can use the yeast cake from BRY-97.

Spur of the moment thing so I want to create a hop schedule from what I have available which is as follows:

50g Motueka
50g Willamette
30g chinook
50g PoR
10g Topaz

Will probably aim for OG of 1.06something.... I was thinking of chinook at 60 Motueka and willamette at 10 and flameout, but that is all guesswork....

Rule of thumb I aim for is 50% of desired ibu around 60, remainder late (between 10 and 0, somewhat dependent on chilling time and method.

Thanks Manticle... i am a bit concerned about mixing hops from different continents... dunno why.

Oh yeah, will be immersion chilling...

Only one that doesn't fit (on paper) is por. When fresh por is great and would certainly work for bittering. I have no experience of it late but I'm pretty sure brewers like smurto have successfully used it late.
For me, chinook and por for early dank resin and the rest between 10 and zero.

Could not agree more with manticle. Although you wont need all of the POR and Chinook at 60 minutes.
So whatever you have left should be YOLO'd at flameout for fun.

All the por for bittering.
Flame out 20 minutes of chinook, topaz, williamette
dry hop the motueka

Thanks guys, the instantaneous support of this forum is freakin priceless :)

I do my IPAs with 30min and 10min additions in the boil only (plus dry hop), I find you get a better bitterness with more flavour and less astringency.

However this is for a more balanced IPA, rather than a light and dry finisher.

Coodgee said:
No more than 5 grams of anything at 60 for me. A little bit at 20 and the rest <= 10 mins and whirlpool.
Agree, after some emails to ben @ Bridge Road trying to recreate their bling bling my last IPA was 5g magnum @ 60 and a 300g combo in whirlpool then 150g dry. I was worried about not getting the bitterness but its all there but with an intense flavour hit also. Id go a bit of por @ 60 them the rest whirlpool & dry.

Well it won't be the hoppiest IPA ever made, but is the most hops I have ever used at once!

The 'ole BigW malt pipe would be pushed beyond capacity to achieve the desired OG so DME has stepped in to assist...

Original Gravity (OG): 1.062 (°P): 15.2
Final Gravity (FG): 1.016 (°P): 4.1
Alcohol by Volume (ABV): 6.09 %
Colour (SRM): 7.3 (EBC): 14.4
Bitterness (IBU): 48.9 (Average)
Brewhouse Efficiency (%): 70
Boil Time (Minutes): 60

Grain Bill
----------------
4.500 kg Pale Malt (76.27%)
1.000 kg Dry Malt Extract - Light (16.95%)
0.200 kg Caramunich I (3.39%)
0.200 kg Toffee - Gladfields (3.39%)

Hop Bill
----------------
20.0 g Pride of Ringwood Pellet (9.1% Alpha) @ 60 Minutes (Boil) (0.9 g/L)
30.0 g Chinook Pellet (11.4% Alpha) @ 10 Minutes (Boil) (1.3 g/L)
10.0 g Topaz Pellet (16.2% Alpha) @ 10 Minutes (Boil) (0.4 g/L)
50.0 g Willamette Pellet (7.8% Alpha) @ 10 Minutes (Boil) (2.2 g/L)
50.0 g Motueka Pellet (6.7% Alpha) @ 2 Days (Dry Hop) (2.2 g/L)

Misc Bill
----------------

Single step Infusion at 65°C for 60 Minutes.
Fermented at 18°C with Danstar BRY-97

A mate has offered up some cascade or columbus if required as well...

Latest posts

Back