Iodophor

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pumpy

Pumpy's Brewery.
Reaction score
I got a bottle of the Iodophor for sanitizing it seems good value for the dilution rate 10 ml to 10 litres of water.

Are there any things I have to watch out for while using it ??

Pumpy

Careful around carpet/white clothes etc. as it stains.

Thats what I thought does it taste in the beer.

Pumpy

There was a great thread a few months ago about using iodine. It had some links in it, plus a few pages of posts.

Do a search on the board on iodine and if that doesn't find it, try idophor.

Man, that stuff sounds much easier to use, better and cheaper than the sanitising solution at the HBS!! About $6 worth makes about 7 litres- much cheaper with this!

P&K

Digging up 7 month old threads? Be happy with "Beer God", hey ;) ...

Iodophor is top stuff.

Pumpy, I'm sure you have long since gotten an answer to your question but anyway, I have not tasted any hint of iodine flavour in my beer and I usually don't rinse. Its great stuff! :super:

Ross said:
P&K

Digging up 7 month old threads? Be happy with "Beer God", hey ;) ...
[post="91603"][/post]​

What??

Oh yeah, well, I was searching for different methods of sanitising (hence my baby sanitiser thread) and I came across this one... reveved in case anyone had anything new to say about it that I might need to know.

I've used the stuff for years - and never had an infection (touch wood)!

A 250ml bottle lasts ages...

TL

It does stain the polyethlene fermenters and I dont like em looking grubby so I bleach them every now and then .

Pumpy

Pumpy said:
It does stain the polyethlene fermenters and I dont like em looking grubby so I bleach them every now and then .

Pumpy
[post="93200"][/post]​

I dilute the iodophor in a 1L spray bottle - clean the fermenters with a good bottle wash detergent, rinse, spray a film of iodophor on the insides of the fermenter and set aside - clean and sterile and no stains on the fermenter.

TL

I haven't found it to stain my fermeters if you use it at the right concentration.

I really rate this stuff, it is super good. I can't taste any residue either and I've never had an infection with it. It's my favourite sanitiser.

It does turn silicone hose pink for a while but it goes back to white. I think sunlight would probably make your fermenters white again Pumpy.

To save on iodophor usage I only use 1-2L of sanitiser to sanitise my fermenter on brew day. If your fermenter is clean then it shouldn't be hard to sanitise. I put 1-2L of water plus 1-2mls of iodophor then routinely shake the hell out of my fermenter every 5 mins or so to splash the solution around. This has been my standard procedure for the last probably 10-15 brews and it's never caused me any trouble with infection. It makes the iodophor solution go a long, long way.

If you want to do a bulk buy of the solution you can buy it in a 25L cube for about $125 (=$5/L) and is sold under the name of Alfa Laval Agri LF12 Milking Machine Sanitiser. The Active constituents are: 12gm/L available Iodine, 252 gm/lL phosphoric acid. It's a low foaming acid dairy sanitiser. Probably more easily accessed in a rural setting but you should be able to find a distributor in the city somewhere.

Cheers, Justin

Edit: Added more Alfa Laval info.

Love the stuff, however I only have one issue with it. :rolleyes:

How the heck does one remove the beer-like foam that remains after you've poured out the solution? I'd like to think it's no-rinse however I always need a couple hundred mls of boiling water just to swish out the residual froth. :unsure:

To avoid boiling water in glass carboys I generally just open a stubby of VB which despite it's putrid taste is to all intents and purposes sterile. I pour half a stubby of VB into each carboy, swirl and dump the iodophor residue. :beerbang:

Does anybody just leave the foam? :ph34r:

Warren -

I have a 1.2L spray bottle and I mix 2mls of idophor with it give it a spray all around the inside of fermenter, tap threads, tap and the inside of the lid and rubber seal then rinse it out with boiling water. Sometimes I don't rinse it, and I have not noticed any change.

It's great stuff, cheap too!

warrenlw63 said:
To avoid boiling water in glass carboys I generally just open a stubby of VB which despite it's putrid taste is to all intents and purposes sterile. I pour half a stubby of VB into each carboy, swirl and dump the iodophor residue. :beerbang:

[post="93203"][/post]​

Finally a way to get rid of those bloody VB cans that people always seem to leave at your place!!! Thanks Warren! ;) :p

I know what you mean about the foam. It always seems like I am defeating the purpose of a "no-rinse" sanatiser, but I must confess I usually add a small burst of tap water and swirl that around a bit to get rid of it. I haven't had any infection problems yet using this method. Its only the fermenter I do it to though - bottles, and other equipment I don't bother.

warrenlw63 said:
[snip]
...I generally just open a stubby of VB which despite it's putrid taste is to all intents and purposes sterile. I pour half a stubby of VB into each carboy, swirl and dump the iodophor residue.[snip]
[post="93203"][/post]​

Sterile? :blink: Urine's sterile too, until it leaves the body - it's an old bushies tale on cleaning snake bite wounds!! :ph34r:

Leaving _any_ beer residue in the fermenter is just begging for bacterial infection - you're asking for trouble leaving a glucose laden beer/iodophor mix in the fermenter and allowing that to remain exposed to the microscopic organisms that float around in the air.

When you mix up the iodophor, do you mix it with warm water? You should find the foam subsides somewhat when you mix the iodophor with cold water.

Keep the VB for snake bites!! ;)

Cheers,
TL

Edit: sp.

Love the stuff too :wub:
Let it drain/air dry for a while and all the froth disappears.

Be aware that the contact time for sanitation is related to dilution strength.

At the strength we use, 1ml/litre it must be left in contact for several minutes (12mins?) to be effective.
It isn't simply a case of spray on/rinse off - done.
I think there was a link in the previous thread somewhere that led to a table showing the times.

For fermenters I'll soak in bleach overnight and give them an hour or 2 with Iodophor then drain.
I give bottles a good rinse straight after use so on bottling day I just have to sanitise. I'll mix up 2 or 3 litres and just tip from one bottle to the next with a funnel ensuring the outside and top get a good splash. Let them drain on the bottle tree for 1/2 hr and they are right to go.

I've also read Iodine is a more effective sanitiser in an acidic environment and the phos acid is only there as a buffer - not a direct sanitiser.

warrenlw63 said:

[post="93203"][/post]​
if i was a bacterium i'd run at the sight of VB

Back