Iodophor

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wortgames said:
I have a bottle of Morgan's Sanitize here, which is probably similar (if not exactly the same) - it lists its contents as Hydrogen peroxide (2.95%), silver ions, stabiliser and distilled water.

The thing I am uncomfortable with is the general lack of information - how long is the diluted mixture effective for, how much contact time is required and even how long is a bottle good for? Does it 'fade' or is my 3 year old bottle still good?!

There's very little info on any bottles I have seen (where did you get your 7 minutes from Ross?) and the fact that it is odourless, colourless, foamless and everything-else-less means it seems like an act of blind faith to use it!
[post="93406"][/post]​

Wortgames - I agree, Morgans lack of info is a disgrace - Hence I got my info from the producer, not Morgans.
Hysan as I've quoted before, takes 7 minutes to be fully effective. Most things of a concern to a homebrewer are knocked over almost instantly. It has a rapid long lasting sanitation action & assists with oxygenation & elimination of chlorine through oxidisation - however, I still leave 7 minutes wherever possible. It is reusable & has a long shelf life, I can't quote you exact times as I don't recall, but I use a few times if the solution is clear & then discard. For a couple of cents a litre it's not really an issue. This product is used by water authorities, horticulturalists, breweries, dairy's, hospitals etc... I have seen the safety data sheets & read heaps of literature on it & I am personally exteremly happy with the product. I am not knocking Idophor, as I'm sure it's a great product. Just IMO, what I'm using is better - As most things, it's personal choice :)...

It is the Hydrogen Peroxide, H202, that is the santitizer, and it is highly effective.

The silver ions have some other properties that are anti-viral etc. Some think that silver-ions has mythical properties and is a cure all, much like rubbing a crystal under your arm as a de-oderant

H2O2 is also one of the main agents in napi-san that makes it an anti-bacterial.

Sounds like you are our resident expert on this stuff then Ross!

I've been really happy with iodophor except for the staining, but I'm willing to change in the light of new evidence. It's effect on chlorine sounds handy. I've only been using it for general surface spraydown, airlock fluid and brewday 'backup' so far, with iodophor doing most of my sanitising work. Bleach is my heavy artillery that gets to do the tough neglected stuff, but usually not on brewday.

Here are a couple of previous threads mentioning Hy-San:

http://www.aussiehomebrewer.com/forum/inde...?showtopic=4722

http://www.aussiehomebrewer.com/forum/inde...?showtopic=5034

(Note that the second one gets a bit off topic!)

Ross, I have a couple of questions:

1. You state that you use a 1:1000 dilution of Hy-San. Does this mean it is 30 times 'stronger' than the Morgans stuff which recommends 30:1000?

2. Any idea how it reacts over time with metal surfaces - assuming I become the sanitiser fairy and start drenching my fridge shelves and everything else I can find with the stuff, and never rinsing it?

3. Are there any safety precautions you need to take with the un-mixed stuff?

:beer:

Wortgames said:
Sounds like you are our resident expert on this stuff then Ross!

I've been really happy with iodophor except for the staining, but I'm willing to change in the light of new evidence. It's effect on chlorine sounds handy. I've only been using it for general surface spraydown, airlock fluid and brewday 'backup' so far, with iodophor doing most of my sanitising work. Bleach is my heavy artillery that gets to do the tough neglected stuff, but usually not on brewday.

Here are a couple of previous threads mentioning Hy-San:

http://www.aussiehomebrewer.com/forum/inde...?showtopic=4722

http://www.aussiehomebrewer.com/forum/inde...?showtopic=5034

(Note that the second one gets a bit off topic!)

Ross, I have a couple of questions:

1. You state that you use a 1:1000 dilution of Hy-San. Does this mean it is 30 times 'stronger' than the Morgans stuff which recommends 30:1000?

2. Any idea how it reacts over time with metal surfaces - assuming I become the sanitiser fairy and start drenching my fridge shelves and everything else I can find with the stuff, and never rinsing it?

3. Are there any safety precautions you need to take with the un-mixed stuff?

:beer:
[post="93413"][/post]​

Wortgames - I do all my cleaning with napisan & use Hysan for all sterilising, which I keep dilluted in a 25L cube with tap. From here I fill up a 2L litre coke bottle & spray bottle. The 2L bottle gets reused a few times or until cloudy.

1) Yes
2) I don't believe it has any corrosive reactions with metal surfaces used in brewing. I'll ask the question for you next week to be doubley sure.
3) It comes in a vented bottle. Full safety directions on bottle. Basically flush with copious quantities of water if spilt, or on contact with skin. I've had splashes on my hands in the past & just run under tap with no ill effects.

Cheers Ross

Hydrogen peroxide breaks down to water pretty quickly in the presence of light, so make sure it is stored in opaque containers. If you leave it in a see-through spray I would doubt its effectiveness after a week.

Latest posts

Back