Iodine Test Pics

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sosman

beerling
Reaction score
I don't normally stuff around with iodine tests, but today my curiosity got the better of me and I ran the test every 10 minutes and took pics:

brewiki: iodine test

sosman said:
I don't normally stuff around with iodine tests, but today my curiosity got the better of me and I ran the test every 10 minutes and took pics:

brewiki: iodine test
Curiosity or boredom ? :D
Great pics.

Doc

way to go sos.always wondered how it would look.
personally i couldnt be bothered but maybe oneday my curiosity will get the better of me.

cheers
big d

Doc said:
Curiosity or boredom ? :D
Actually, it was the juxtaposition of an empty dropper bottle and 500ml of Betadine that put the idea into my head.

Goat said:
How many gravity points did you sacrifice sosman ? :eek:
Funny you should ask - I melted the tube the hydrometer comes in which I also use for readings. Apparently they are not rated for boiling wort :blink:

Sosman, pleased to see someone observing the conversion process. However you are missing the main show due to the intensity of colour in straight Iodine. Dilute it 50:50 with distilled water and you will be able to see more of the subtle colour changes from black thru to gold or mahogany (if your dextrins are high). At the end of your mash, there should be NO hint of blue/black colour change even when you "mash" your wort sample in the Iodine solution. This little point will also tell you how effective your crush is.

Wes.

wessmith said:
Sosman, pleased to see someone observing the conversion process. However you are missing the main show due to the intensity of colour in straight Iodine. Dilute it 50:50 with distilled water and you will be able to see more of the subtle colour changes from black thru to gold or mahogany (if your dextrins are high). At the end of your mash, there should be NO hint of blue/black colour change even when you "mash" your wort sample in the Iodine solution. This little point will also tell you how effective your crush is.
Thanks for the tip. Someone on rec.crafts.brewing said the same thing just now and there is a link on the wiki page to a university web page showing the colour changes.

great stuff sosman, I thought you were not supposed to have any actual grains in the sample or you will always get a false reading?

Back