Invert Syrup Vs. Belgian Candi

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cpsmusic

Reaction score
Hi,

I recently had a go at making some invert sugar syrup. My understanding is that once made, this stays as a liquid (although it's really thick).

I was in a LHBS today and noticed they were selling Belgian Candi Sugar which was crystallized. I thought that Belgian Candi Sugar was just a darker invert? If so, shouldn't it be a syrup?

How is it different and if it's invert, how is it crystallized?

Cheers,

Chris

If it was in the fridge then it would be hardish. There wont be much water in it and basically, if they made itself and it cooled then they probably made it from dry white sugar.

Once it cools it goes hard (like toffee)

cheers

tnd

ON THE JUICE

It was on the shelf (not in the fridge), and from what I could see it was hard like toffee.

If it was in the fridge then it would be hardish. There wont be much water in it and basically, if they made itself and it cooled then they probably made it from dry white sugar.

Once it cools it goes hard (like toffee)

cheers

tnd

ON THE JUICE

Invert is Sucrose that has been split into Fructose and Glucose, a water molecule attaches itself where the G-F join used to be.
To do this the sugar must be dissolved in water then heat, acids or enzymes (Invertase) are used to cause some of the sugar to invert after that its a matter of how much water is left with the sugar, if its dried back to a crystal or left as a heavy syrup its still invert sugar.
The biggest difference between Belgian Candy and Golden Syrup, Treacle or homemade invert is that the Belgian stuff is made from Beet Sugar, rather than Cane sugar. Surprisingly enough there are some significant differences in the flavour, as an example you cant make decent rum out of beet sugar.
If you are looking for the most authentic Belgian flavour, just make sure you choose stuff made in Belgian from beet sugar, whether its in liquid or lump form doesnt really matter.
MHB

I've done a fair bit of adding sugar to my brews and come to the realisation that the only time you really notice what sugar you added is if it's heavily caramelised.

Put clear invert, sucrose, dextrose, fructose syrup (even pale brown sugar) and other variables are in play that would have a bigger impact in batch to batch taste. Unless you are using way too much sugar - but that's another story.

But a dark, red, toffee, or even slightly burnt sugar addition is noticible. All the other stuff is completely nailed by the yeast.

If I'm adding sugar, it's either dextrose or dark syrup.

you think throwing in half a kilo of normal raw sugar into the boil @ 10 mins or so will cause much effect then?

you think throwing in half a kilo of normal raw sugar into the boil @ 10 mins or so will cause much effect then?

It'll raise the alcohol level by ~1.0%, and in this way it will affect the taste of the beer, but you won't taste the difference which type of pale sugar you use.

All my belgians get sugar thrown at them. And I regularly put 10% sucrose in Aussie Lagers.

Belgian candy sugar can be syrup or hard like candy. The only difference is how the make the sugar, to get it hard you just bring the syrup up to "crack" temperature so when it cools it gets hard. Personally I think you can get a much richer flavor from the syrup (dark), but not sure if there is a massive difference though.

Thanks for the info.

I've made a medium/dark invert that I plan on using in a Speckled Hen clone.

The reason I'm interested in the Belgian Candi is because I'm hoping to brew a Dubbel after the Hen.

I'd like to have a go at making Dark Belgian Candi. Is beet sugar available anywhere?

Invert is Sucrose that has been split into Fructose and Glucose, a water molecule attaches itself where the G-F join used to be.
To do this the sugar must be dissolved in water then heat, acids or enzymes (Invertase) are used to cause some of the sugar to invert after that its a matter of how much water is left with the sugar, if its dried back to a crystal or left as a heavy syrup its still invert sugar.
The biggest difference between Belgian Candy and Golden Syrup, Treacle or homemade invert is that the Belgian stuff is made from Beet Sugar, rather than Cane sugar. Surprisingly enough there are some significant differences in the flavour, as an example you cant make decent rum out of beet sugar.
If you are looking for the most authentic Belgian flavour, just make sure you choose stuff made in Belgian from beet sugar, whether its in liquid or lump form doesnt really matter.
MHB

Just following on from what MHB said:

I doubt in a blind taste test that you could pick beet from cane sugar.

and ur point being??

btw, I was looking... you can definitely buy sugar beet from the markets and use it to create your own beet syrup!

Just pointing out to Nick_JD that MHB seems to disagree with him (although maybe I've misunderstood the comment).

and ur point being??

btw, I was looking... you can definitely buy sugar beet from the markets and use it to create your own beet syrup!

Which markets did you look at?

Can't be 100% sure, but I think I've seen them at rusty's in cairns.... ymmv etc. If I do manage to actually get some I'll report back.

From my personal experience the Dark Belgian Candi Syrup you can obtain, from
some of the sponsors above, has far more complexity of aroma and taste as compared
to my home made product.

Regards

Graeme

Any idea why that would be?

From my personal experience the Dark Belgian Candi Syrup you can obtain, from
someof the sponsors above, has far more complexity of aroma and taste as compared
to my home made product.

Regards

Graeme

Just been doing a bit more digging and found this:

Belgian Candi

It says that diammonium phosphate is added which lowers the Maillard reaction temperature and enables the product of more melanoidans. This is probably why the flavour is more complex.

MHB might well be correct - that it's beets that make Euro sucrose special.

But if you've lived in the other hemisphere and bought a pack of sugar ... it's still sucrose. There's SFA difference.

Weird thing is most of the world considers the cane version the superior one. Sugar from beets as second best.

There might be microscopic differences between the two in the levels of molasses n shit left in it, but that's a refinery/cultural difference, not a chemical one.

I read somewhere a while back that confectioners in Europe and America source cane sugar because it caramelises better.

As above, it's the process that's key, not the product.

Back