Introducing Brewton

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The boil pot is 50L and 40cm in diameter.

The element is a 2400W element with 3 loops.

I think where I am losing out is that the pot is square in that it is 40cm high and 40cm diameter so there is too much surface area to get a good strong boil going. The pie tin (or lid when I build it) will get a good strong boil going. The element gets a very gentle boil going with some evaporation. I haven't measured % boil off yet

Hop socks will have a tendency to float, so as long as the pie tin leaves enough surface area to share, they'll just float in harmony. Even just a 20cm D tin will be plenty enough surface area reduction to get you a vigorous boil.

Yeh, I don't think I will require much to get the strong boil happening. Off to get a pie tin tonight. Do they make them in stainless??? :)
hey angus,

with a 40 cm opening you will be loosing about 90% of your energy out the top of the pot, so that will explain the long times and lack of a strong boil, if you reduce the opening to 30cm or get a pie dish 13cm in diameter then the energy loss drops to 50%

cheers steve

Well I wasn't able to get a pie tin and I have a full day installing a new patio at our unit so no beer-related shopping tomorrow. :( On the plus side, I will be able to get my kegerator and ferment fridge back around the back and out of the car port and then park the car in the car-port.

Cheers Steve. I found a good page on pot sizes, boiling power, pot diameter, etc after I purchased my pot. But I think ripping off Edaks lid system will achieve good string boils. And the pie tin will be a great interim solution so I can start nailing out some BIABs.

Doing some work on my ferment controller tonight. Wiring up the DS18B20 stainless temp probe I have to a fermentor and will hook that up to my data acquisition device. Will then be logging ferment temp info to the laptop and controlling a SSR to power the fridge when required. Will hopefully get that finished on Sunday as I have to get a Morgans Golden Saaz kit on the ferment in time for Xmas. Will be cutting it a bit fine including lagering time.

A friend told me about a kitchen warehouse place (on the corner of Tooheys road and Evans Road in Moorooka in Brisbane). Went there and they had one remaining SS pot (although very thin) in the exact size I needed. And for the princely sum of $15 including 15% discount).

10 minutes with the dremel and voila: spanky new hood for my brau-clone
hood.png

I was getting some bits and pieces from CraftBrewer and took a video in of the boil. Ross had a look and said it was fine. He also mentioned that the hood was allowing enough steam out to not worry about DMS (it is actually about the same dimensions as the BM hood) so at this point, I will not be worrying about drainage for the hood. Simplifies things somewhat although I will have to work out a "condensation return system" as the pot allows dripping down the outside of the pot. This will be easier than a drainage system though. Done...

Also drilled hole in the pot for one of the stainless skin fittings and fitted brown pump and 3-piece ball valve and then cam-lock fittings. I may look at doing a recirc BIAB run for the first run, but my initial thinking it to keep it as simple as possible so probably just normal BIAB. Will need tweak some changes for my PID temp control processes (running ferment fridge at the moment) to control the mashing process before I can do the BIAB though. This will also require making some hardware changes (extra temp probe plug plus extra power outlet) to control Brewton

Progress is finally being made....

doing an R2D2 clone brew are we.? ;) ....cheers....spog....

Brewton after plugging it into a 15A socket... he he

I suppose it does bear some resemblance to R2. It's too late for a name change now, it's already got its own thread on AHB.... :eek:

Well it seems things are ticking along fairly well. I have now completed my temp probe installation. After much umming and ahhing: should I install it on the top of malt pipe, in bottom of main pot priotruding into the malt pipe, just sittign in outside liquid of main vessel I took some of Big Nath's advice on AHB and installed it in the main pipe. The mash liquid is always going to be recirculating and the liqiud spilling over the malt pipe down onto the element will be the coolest liquid in the system.

And at some point the system should reach a temperature equilibrium so it doesn't really matter where I measure the temp from.
1-TempProbe.png
Temp probe installation in main pot
2-ProbeExternal.png

Temp probe from control box on main pot.
The two red wires hanging around are from the heating element. I will have to wire them back up to run some heating and temp reading tests later this week

3-ControlBox.png

The control box where my data acquisition device is, the two Auberins solid state relays are. This is the temp probe plugged in to the control box and providing some temp readings.

At the moment I have my fermentation fridge hooked up to the control box and being controlled by software. I am thinking I will construct a new STC 1000 device to control the ferment temp as it is a stand-alone device and doesn't need to reboot for upgrades. My laptop has rebooted itself a couple of times so I would have to set up an automatic logon and get my control software to boot up automatically for it to be a feasible way to contrl fermentation. The STC 1000 is attractive as it doesn't need software upgrades and when powered up just starts off from where it left with regards to temp settings. Any way, something for me to ponder.

Well now comes the hard part: tuning the PID library. I have been doing some testing on my PID library and I think I have it dialed in.

1-software.png

A shot of the software side of the controller. You can only see one line in the graph as the target temperature and current temperature are close enough.

2-outside.png

An outside shot of the system with the little brown pump recirculating the water to the top of the system to achieve a consistent temperature
3-inside.png

An inside photo of the pot with my glorious recirculating system. I am thinking I will recirculate the mash water when I do my first BIAB batch this weekend.

Stay tuned!
teeth_smile.gif

Did some ramping tests and maintaining temps tests last night and finally found remaining bug (that I know about) about ramping temps and switching over to PID mode within 95% of target temp. Was to do with PID library not being instantiated properly and then providing an element firing time of about 30 seconds when current temp was inside 95% range. 30 seconds is good for 4 or 5 degrees increase so this is bad when you are at 64 and target temp is 65 and you end up at 70 degrees. Sounds confusing and it took me ages to find the bug.

So will do some final tests tonight and if all is good, will brew my first AG tomorrow morning. waaahhhhh!!!!! I have booked out the morning but yet to tell 'er indoors it might take the whole morning. :ph34r: shhhhh..

I'll have to clean out one of my cubes as I will have to no-chill my first batch as I still have a Coopers IPA kit in the fermenting fridge. I may actually fire up my spare fridge and put the wort into a cube but then chill it in the fridge. So the boiling wort into cube should provide some additional sanitising and then the fridge should prevent any infection or wild yeast activity.

Ooh, that reminds me, I have to fit my sight glass to the pot tonight.

:super:

Should have booked the whole day off mate.

Generally first AG is a total, yet enjoyable clusterf*ck!

Good luck mate! Can't wait for the report.

Cheers,
D80

can we get a look at your malt pipe and filters? how will they function for the mashing.

Hmm, maybe I should book the whole day off....... :blink:

My first AG will be a BIAB. I am still working on the malt pipe, filters and seals. As per a previous post in this thread, I will be using a stainless bbq grill with voile filter fitted for the top filter. I am thinking of using a normal 9" false bottom for the bottom filter. I will lose a little bit of volume so will have to do some calculations on that to see how it affects my max grain bill. I will have to work out a way to seal the hole where the elbow was fitted in the false bottom as I am yet to find somewhere that sells a false bottom with no elbow
1-TopFilterPlate.png

I wonder know whether I could use a 12" false bottom for the top filter. The top of the Big W pot is 30cm and 12" false bottom is 30cm. Coincidence???? And the beauty of that is the volume I lose in the domed bottom filter I gain in volume in the domed top filter. Hmmm, this is sounding too good to be true... And I just seal up the hole for the elbow with a plate and don't actually modify the false bottoms. SO if I was to move to 3V system I can still use the false bottoms.....

This sounds too good to be true. I have to be missing something...

Edet: spelling.

Well fired off my first BIAB + no chill. I created a new thread.

Was pretty painless apart from draining the bag where I slightly burnt my left hand, which was painful. Will have to look at block and tackle or some lifting mechanism as it was a bit of hard work lifting the bag full of grain and wort. I imagine lifting the malt pipe will be similarly hard, although it will be resting on top of the main vessel to drain so different story I suppose.

All in all, a fairly easy brew day, got very close to most of the targets defined in Lord Raja's brewsheet. I bought some grain packs off him that he wasn't going to be able to use with his imminent relocation.

Software worked well, boiler worked well, etc, etc.

My 4th AG brew tomorrow and I have made quite a few bug fixes and one very important (but fairly small) feature:
autostart.png

If you have trouble seeing the screenshot, it is an auto-start feature. So I have it scheduled to start ramping up to mash temps at 5:45 in the morning. The theory being that I wake up around 6:30, walk down stairs and mash in thereby saving 45 minutes or so of waiting around for temps to ramp up. Saweet

You would be saving more than 45min on brew day. 45min to hit strike temp plus all the setup time.

You ever thought of mashing in cold? I can't remember who is was but they used to throw the grain and cold water in when they went to bed. Next morning they would wake up at mash out. There was some threads on it a couple of years back.

QldKev

Back