Introduce Yourself.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello,
So I just found this site. I have recently moved to Australia from the States.

I have been brewing for a couple of years now. Mostly partly mashes. I really like European beer.

I am also looking to start brewing again as I had to get rid of all my brewing equipment so if anyone knows of a good HB shops in Sydney.

Also I am trying to find a club in Sydney but with out much success. Is there one?

Thanks,
Josh

i hear esb shops are good to go to but doc would know a few goos ones to go to

Well I guess it's time I finally post something here, seeing as I've been lurking for ages. I live in the beautiful town of Tumut at the base of the Snowy Mountains in NSW. I've been brewing for nearly a year now, making mostly Grumpy's kits (gotta love the free freight option) and the occasional ESB fresh wort when I can scam a delivery from Canberra. I've just started partial mashing so I'm definitely on the slippery slope towards AG. Any way I just want to thank all the other newbies that asked the questions I had, and all you experienced brewers that took the time to answer them.

Cheers! :beer:

Seemingly like a few of the other posters on this thread, I am currently bored and have nothing better to do on a Friday night.

My name is Will and Im an alcoholic. Not quite. I am currently at Macquarie University in my last term of a Business Degree, and looking for a graduate position (Can anyone help me here!)

I started brewing young. Very young. Actually probably 12 making ginger beer from scratch using a recipe from ABCs Q and A. Whilst it was meant to be non alcoholic, Im sure it was alcoholic. Anyhow there was this, potato wine (yes thats right) and apple cider from scratch.

Anyhow I started brewing when I became a legal drinker as Im a Christian and only started drinking when I hit 18. Don't panic Im not going to convert you or anything. If anything I know more Christian brewers than brewers from any other group. In my church I know of at least 8 brewers, but definitely not as hardcore as me. I actually become offended if anyone thinks it wrong to brew alcohol as a Christian from church.

Like most guys I started with a coopers kit. Graduated from Kit and Kilo with 4 relatively awful brews, partial mashes about 2 and last year did my first AG which turned out awful. I don't currently have much time to brew Ag, but as soon as I start working fulltime I plan to go big-time. At the moment I have a Rubbermaid 34L mash tun, 40L kettle and immersion heater and chiller. I will post pictures of my setup which I am quite proud of and which was purchased and done for less than $300 bucks (Note: for people thinking its expensive).

I am a fan of trying as many new beers as possible. However I am limited with time, and the fact that I enjoy making beer over drinking it. I wish for the future to expand my technique and equipment i.e. stir plate, glass carboy and fermentation fridge.

I wish to extend my gratitude to everyone who has posted anything remotely useful and helpful, particularly Sosman with his awesome site. Without this site I would still be brewing beers that haven't expanded my horizons and beers which I would have limited satisfaction in making. Thanks fellas, and I hope to add to the diversity and collective knowledge on the board

Cheers

Will

Will, I don't see why anyone would have a problem with Christian brewers, especially in light of the great monastic brewing tradition. If anyone complains tell them to try a Chimay and see if they still think Christians shouldn't brew!

I started brewing ginger beer as a kid too. Highly alcoholic I suspect :chug:

There was just too much sugar and yeast for it not to be!

Spun said:
Will, I don't see why anyone would have a problem with Christian brewers, especially in light of the great monastic brewing tradition. If anyone complains tell them to try a Chimay and see if they still think Christians shouldn't brew!
[post="58006"][/post]​

Thanks Spun. I really hate the attitude of brewing being a immoral hobby or profession from people within my church. As far as i'm concerned if its legal and the bible says nothing against it, then who cares what i do.

And damn straight, i should bring that point up if someone has a go at me!

Cheers

Will

even jeebus was a winemaker, so tell everyone else to shut up (politely, of course)

Hey guys,

I haven't posted for ages and have had a few changes in my life, so I thought I'd update it here. In a nutshell, my contract with my last position finished due to a lack of funding. After a month or so I ended up leaving Brisbane for sunny Melbourne to take up a new position here. Haven't brewed for quite a while and am still waiting for the gear to make it down from Brisbane.

I won't really get time to post regularly, but I'll keep a watch on the place.

Beers,

Murray

Welcome (again) and to dreary old Melbourne Murray. :)

You're one of us now. Hahaha! Hahaha! Hahaha! Hahaha! :wacko: :wacko: There is no escape!

Warren -

Does that make JM a Happy Clapper :D

Borret

See if you can bring some rain Murray - we could sure use it

Well, after 2 months of leeching information from this forum, and 77 posts, its probably time to introduce myself.

My name is Chris, im 20 and live in Parkville, Melbourne. I study surveying at RMIT and have been brewing since i was 15. I work part time as a surveyor, but my real dream is to start a micro.

I've only been brewing AG for about 2 months and partials for a couple of years, before that I was a bit limited for space because I lived at college in a shoebox room, even kit brewing was a strugle.

I frequent Grain & Grape a fair bit, so some of you have probably already seen me in the corner rummaging through the half price yeast bin :ph34r:

There are a few pics of someof my random brewing shit on my uni project website here http://www.geocities.com/voota2003/vootasbrewing.html ..i dont know about the colour of my hoegaarden clone though, it looks radioactive in the photo.. It was actually a nice beer.

Anyway, thanks for all the information i've gathered already, and i look foward one day to being able to give out some advice..

Cheers, Chris

Voota, had a look at your pages ...some cool suff! ;)

Mate, can you tell me more about your All grain brewery set-up (in the picture) ...looks like something I might be able to piece together :p

...And, Welcome!!! :)

My AG brewey consists of a old cut flower display stand (welded to size) with an old keg, nasa burner and esky. Its nice and compact and is fully my own design, its bloody simple and has a few design faults, however i think the most impressive bit atm is the pump bit, its an IDRA aqurieum pump that i use to
1. Pump the wort from the mashing vessel after mashing into the kettle
2. Recirculate the wort until it comes out nice and clear
3. Heat up the mash for mash out (pump some wort into the kettle, then back down to the tun) also handy if strike temp is a bit low.

To do this i've got a hose connection fitting that allows me to decide where the wort goes. I'll post pics tomorrow or something.

I'm in the process of improving it each brew i do, so it will be a little while before i get the minor glitchs out.

Stay tuned for pics and a full explanations (next couple of days)

voota said:
I frequent Grain & Grape a fair bit, so some of you have probably already seen me in the corner rummaging through the half price yeast bin :ph34r:

[post="60258"][/post]​

Welcome aboard Voota,

Actually after looking at your website you seem familiar to me. Suspect I've seen you at G&G a couple of times. I'm the bloke who always talks too much. :D

I'll say g'day next time I see you. :super:

Warren -

merry meet all im shadowseeker and im a complete beginner to the whole home brew idea so expect to hear about alot of disasters from me
thankfully this forum appears to have a lot of great ideas and hints to help me
out in my first attempts to produce a palatble brew
that even my husband can apreciate
hes a maori so he can be very picky when it comes to the beer he drinks
im from the western suburbs of melbourne and generaly more of a wine drinker
but i have always had a taste for vb and thought home brewing would be a great gift idea for friends and family with that little personal touch
i look forward to learning as much as i can from you all
and thanks :beer:

Welcome aboard shadowseeker, its great to see more lady brewers joining the hobby.

Welcome to the board shadowseeker.
You will find all the info you need here to help you make great beers.

cheers
johnno

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back