Intertap stout tap adapter

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

btrots87

Reaction score
Hi all, I've bought the stout adapter for my taps and want to give it a go on an Irish Red ale that I have waiting in the keg fridge.

I don't brew stouts or porters but I thought it might be good to try on some other irish and english styles. Question is, should I just leave the pressure at my normal 12 psi, or should I adjust it up or down for that keg to get a good pour with the stout tap. I have non flow control intertaps.

Anything else I should be aware of? Other hints or advice appreciated.

if you want that creamy head and mouth feel you will want o consider the use of 70/30 Nitro blend mix and the PSI required is around 40 to get enough pressure through the stout tip.

The little disc inside the adaptor has little holes, these force the C02 out of solution with the high pressure nitro.

You may be able to crank up the C02 tank and get a similar effect, Im not sure.

Do you have a nitrogen setup or do you just want a glass of foam?

It works really well at about 30psi. You get a very similar effect and taste to nitro. The only problem is you have to degas the keg after every sesion other wise you end up with an really over carbed stout.

Pouring at high co2 pressure works but beer gas i just a bit better imho. You have to way up tue cost i guess.

Cheers guys. I don't have a nitro setup and can't justify the cost for how often I would use it. Just hoping that I can get something close to the same result with CO2.

I've been thinking of getting another regulator anyway so I can carb some wheat beers at a higher pressure. Maybe if I do this I can use it for the stout tap too, and just go the degas afterwards option.

Hi mate
I use the intertap stout nossel on my reds and stouts, works great.

I only carb these styles upto about 2/3rds of my normal ales, and pour with about 15 psi which is heaps, but it does pour super creamy and after the initial tap open I adjust the flow rate down to fill the rest of the pint glass using my flow control.

I use flow control intertap with my stout nossel. If you don't have a flow control tap you may need to adjust pour pressure back a fair bit otherwise you will get a full glass of cream.

Try it, but I recon the flow control tap for this nossel works a lot easier.

Love the nossel, works great as an alternative to nitro.

Reds and stouts wouldn't be the same without it.

Cheers

Using one for porter at standard pressure of 12ish psi at 8C.
Does a great job with big creamy head.

I have the stout attachment on one of my FC Intertaps. Have a stout on running at 4deg/12psi as I have a pale ale on the 2nd tap. It pours very very slow but creams up nicely. I have shortened my line length to 3m as per the online calculator but still pours slow. A mate at work rekons to go for a 2m line length. Haven't gotten around to testing that yet.

Other thoughts it might be a blocked diptube/outpost. Will pull the keg apart once it kicks in a week or two...

Just an update... i took the stout spout out and rinsed in hot water and sprayed with starsan... it had a bit of gunk in the pinholes.. pours nicely now. Will make a habit of cleaning it regularly

So I finally got a free tap and hooked up the Irish Red. Tried a few pints worth with the regular tap attachment at 12psi and 5C, very nice flavour but the carbonation was too much.

I just put the stout tap on and tried pouring at the same pressure, slow pour but I was pretty impressed with the result. Gave a nice creamy head that lasted the whole glass and the lower carbonation seemed to make the beer even tastier.

I'll have a play around with increasing the pouring pressure for a quicker pour but happy with the results so far.

I've been really impressed with mine- as have anyone else that's had a pint of the black stuff from my new keezer.

Don't go too high on the pressure. Once you overcarb, you'll end up with too much foam in the glass that doesn't settle as fast as you might like it to. A slow pour will get you to drinking stage faster than having to wait for the foam to settle, then pouring more beer and repeating a few times before the glass is full (of mostly flat beer).

Latest posts

Back