Intertap G2 vs Andale

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mfroes

Reaction score
Hi Guys,
I decided that is time for me to transform my fridge into a beer dispenser unit.
So I went out and got a long shank and a intertap G2 (keg king) unit. then i got home and saw this link where people say that the andale taps are darn good.
(https://aussiehomebrewer.com/threads/brand-new-intertap-beer-tap-leaking.91418/)
Did I do wrong? I had gotten the intertap because i could later on change the faucet and dispense other types of beer as well.
Should i have gone with the andale setup ? if so i can just go and return them.
the andale ones uses snaplock system instead of the regular shank collars. is there a way/adaptor from the shank to the snaplock? i have also seen that they have another type of connection as well that is threaded, would that connect to a regular shank ?
http://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/NXsAAOSw0UdXp9aT/s-l1600.jpg
http://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/zlEAAOSwbsBXp9at/s-l1600.jpg

Would you guys know what are the pro's and con's of each?
this is what i have until now

Intertap
pros
- cheaper new
- have different faucets
cons
- prune to leakage
- needs space in-between for the shank spanner
- hard to find used parts

Andale
pros
- used on lots os pubs so really failproof
- cheap enough used ( http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/2-andale-beer-taps-only-/322783493886 )
- snaplock makes unnecessary a large distance between them and no extra tools required to remove them
cons
- larger size
- more expensive new
- snaplock is not as common to find adapters

any ideas/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Andale is great in the right situation, like on a flooded font. I have a theory about the higher thermal mass of them, that they go at tad better on a font.
I have brumby, perlick flow control, intertaps and Andale DA taps (All stainless). Love my DAs and the intertaps are great too, if I was doing a keezer or fridge again I would probably go intertaps.
Keep in mind that shank selection will play a role too. I like the big stainless ones with the tiny hole in the middle, the idea to keep it more like the hose it just came from. More shank in the fridge the merrier (helps keep them cold) so go longer than necessary.
2017-08-19 11.55.31.jpg

My DA taps are shy!

My opinion, but do what you feel is right for you.

The initial batch of Intertaps had some teething issues that have long been sorted out. Clearly Keg King have improved the product since that time and that's why they have the second generation Intertaps.

I was one of the people who had issues with the Intertaps, but it's been sorted out and since then I purchased two more (flow control models) and don't regret it a bit. I like them and I like the fact that the nozzle can be changed. I have the standard nozzles as well as stout, barbed and ball lock. Happy.

Don't reckon the "con" of leaking applies to intertap. Never had an issue and gotta say, it's been an excellent tap. Looks good, pours good, doesn't need cleaning more than perlick and easy to disassemble and reassemble to clean.

Andale is great in the right situation, like on a flooded font. I have a theory about the higher thermal mass of them, that they go at tad better on a font.
I have brumby, perlick flow control, intertaps and Andale DA taps (All stainless). Love my DAs and the intertaps are great too, if I was doing a keezer or fridge again I would probably go intertaps.
Keep in mind that shank selection will play a role too. I like the big stainless ones with the tiny hole in the middle, the idea to keep it more like the hose it just came from. More shank in the fridge the merrier (helps keep them cold) so go longer than necessary. View attachment 108656
My DA taps are shy!

My opinion, but do what you feel is right for you.

So the longer the shank the better? good that i got then the 100mm stainless one.
about the tiny hole, it seems to increase in size at the end.
shank.jpg

decided to keep the intertap as it has the flow control and it will go directly on the fridge.
maybe if i get a bar built with a flooded font i'll try some other taps. i found that micromatic rototap strangely good looking.
maybe start a collection of homebrew taps?

decided to keep the intertap as it has the flow control and it will go directly on the fridge.
maybe if i get a bar built with a flooded font i'll try some other taps. i found that micromatic rototap strangely good looking.
maybe start a collection of homebrew taps?

You wouldn't be the first.

The rototap is gorgeous. Still an Andale DA man, myself, for much the same reason. If they didn’t pour well though…let’s just say I have Perlick flow controls for my mini-kegs.

The rototap is gorgeous. Still an Andale DA man, myself, for much the same reason. If they didn’t pour well though…let’s just say I have Perlick flow controls for my mini-kegs.
would you know the main difference between the DA's and the Floryte's ? the EK is so strange that i dont think i would be looking at it anytime soon

Largely just design, in terms of functionality. IIRC one or the other has improved internals. Pnuttapper is the member to answer that question. Hopefully he’ll chime in.

The Andales you've linked aren't Snaplocks
those are Lock In connectors

the second one is lock in, yes
but both pictures you originally linked are lock ins

I'm enjoying my intertaps, 0 complaints after 18 months.

From my experience, I like my brumbies (lancer ss) better than my florites. The florites need constant tuning for differing seasons. They are also really bad at pouring small portions.
That said, when set up right, they pour a great pint, just the brumbies are a bit more consistent.

would you know the main difference between the DA's and the Floryte's ? the EK is so strange that i dont think i would be looking at it anytime soon

Without getting too involved in technicalities, you need 3 hands to service the DA.

Back in the days when I was young and eager, I made up a tool that I could rest in my belly button to get the clearance between the block and the wear plate right, whilst using my hands to do up the rest of it.

I soon tired of doing this, and advised publicans that were using them to either get different taps, or a new serviceman.

In a commercial setting, I believe that springless taps (Perlick / intertap / Grundy / Brumby etc.) are far superior to the Floryte / DA / side action types. The problem with them in a commercial setting is that a lot of casual type staff mistreat them, and wear out the springs. They require constant adjustment to get the clearance between the valve seat and nozzle right. Publicans and venue owners do not like to pay for this.

HB guys know the value of their equipment, and so get better value from taps with springs because they don't mistreat their gear.

How would one mistreat a DA? Just wondering, so I don’t create bad habits as I get my kegerator set up.

Latest posts

Back