Interruptions To Brewday

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RdeVjun

Reaction score
A quickie, have done some searches and reading without much luck so far.

Have put a mild on to mash at 65C just now, a BIAB, and then I get the call up for work in about 2 hours for yet another stinking meeting. So, now I'm wondering if I let the mash finish on schedule (90 mins) and just drain and sparge the bag, it should be ok to come back to it later this afternoon to do the boil operation? I'd cover the kettle up to retain as much heat as I can of course.

Or would a longer mash be of any benefit perhaps? Say 3-4 hours? Its based on this recipe of Dr Smurto's and I was toying with a slightly lower temp mashing. Palmer's HtB is helpful to some extent, from what I understand, there's little point leaving it longer than 90 minutes, even as it is, a slightly thinner wort.

Thanks in advance.

I dont know what to do, but some fellahs in the US I have spoken to mash overnight, so as to shorten brew day the next day.
I watch this thread keenly for the experts.

I'd strain, sparge and then leave it. Letting the liquor cool a bit before boiling won't be an issue as the sugar conversion has already been done during the mash. Any nasties that may spread will soon be killed in the boil after the meeting.

yeah just leave it if you want. i quite often do my steep/minimash then leave it until that night to boil. i just work around the kids. i havent had a problem yet.

Check out this thread on overnight mashing. He discusses the temp drops and how they affect things. Longer mashes don't seem to affect the conversion, as the alpha/beta amylases are denatured after a couple of hours at mash temps anyway. Alternatively, drain into the boil kettle and raise the temp to as high as possible before leaving for the meeting. This should denature the enzymes to prevent any further conversion while you're away, and then do the boil when you get back.

Either works. I have yet to try overnight mashing, but my next brew will be done that way to see if it affects anything.

A quickie, have done some searches and reading without much luck so far.

Have put a mild on to mash at 65C just now, a BIAB, and then I get the call up for work in about 2 hours for yet another stinking meeting. So, now I'm wondering if I let the mash finish on schedule (90 mins) and just drain and sparge the bag, it should be ok to come back to it later this afternoon to do the boil operation? I'd cover the kettle up to retain as much heat as I can of course.

Or would a longer mash be of any benefit perhaps? Say 3-4 hours? Its based on this recipe of Dr Smurto's and I was toying with a slightly lower temp mashing. Palmer's HtB is helpful to some extent, from what I understand, there's little point leaving it longer than 90 minutes, even as it is, a slightly thinner wort.

Thanks in advance.

Made that a few times now.

Last batch had to duck away myself and the mash went for 4 hours. Best one yet! :lol:

Mashing at 65 is very low for a mild. i found 69-70 worked best.

Made that a few times now.

Last batch had to duck away myself and the mash went for 4 hours. Best one yet! :lol:

Mashing at 65 is very low for a mild. i found 69-70 worked best.
Many thanks Dr S and everyone else too, I've run out of time now anyway, so it'll staying mashing for a while.

Its a partial mash with 1/3 pale malt extract (only have a 19 L pot, so they're 2/3 - 1/3 split for now unless I do small double batches- a heap of hard work in PITA territory is that!). I subbed pale crystal for the amber and a sprinkle of T1 for the patent, but I'll do one at the higher temps after this charade is over! I just wanted to see if the overtly- grainy taste I've had with my first few AGs could be ameliorated by lower temp mashing. Maybe I should've just asked... :rolleyes:

Gotta fly, cheers!

Latest posts

Back