Interrupted Boil

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

3GumsBrewing

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

Need some help, yesterday i was 25 min into the boil for a Belgian Golden Strong Ale, when we had a small family emergency, I turned the boil off, sealed the kettle up and am only now getting back to resume the boil about 12 hours later. Planning to do another 65 min.

Is there going to be any noticeable crappness because of this? Should i add some more bittering hops?

:angry:

Cheers
DK

I thought of that when this almost happened to me.. Please let me know id be very interested

I've done it when I've run out of gas, but that was only an hour or so between boils. One way to find out DK. I think it will be fine, I don't think you will need more hops. I take it you had made the bittering addition prior to the emergency?

There is a sporting chance that it will be ok... time will tell. I'd at least give it a chance.

Don't add more bittering hops... unless a taste test tells you otherwise.

Either way let us know how it turns out after fermenting. I wouldn't have high hopes for it, but you can't tip it yet.

Thanks guys, i will do my best from here on and let you know how it goes!
Razz yep i had added the bittering hops about 5 min before i had to cancel the brew day!

Cheers
DK

Ok gang,

A quick update and a few questions. I kegged this beer on Saturday, gassed it up to perfection and finaly got around to tasting it tonight. BTW - I almost hit my OG of 1.090 (got 1.088) and got a FG of 1.010.

The Pro's -
It tastes like Duvel all the way, I have done this beer a couple of times and it tastes like all the others which were spot on.
It has a nice white fluffy head on it that lasts all the way down to the bottom.

Cons -
The beer in the glass is mega hazy, I mean I can not see through it at all.
The aroma in the glass is, mmm... shall we say a little sweet, grainy and a touch farty! :lol: I asked SWMBO to smell it and she added insult to injury by saying it smells like warm VB. Nooooooooo!

So my questions are - is there anything i can do to clear the beer out apart from let it sit for a few weeks (which i plan to do anyway)? Also what is that aroma i am getting? Farty, Sweet, Grainy?

I will up dat you all in a few weeks when i try it again!

Cheers
DK

Can you go into a little more detail and let us know what was used in the recipe - eg; hops, yeast etc

Evening DK. The off aromas may be stressed yeast from underpitching although going by those gravities it was really working and hit the numbers okay. Perhaps ferm temps may be the culprit, what temps did you keep the beer at ? It's great that you like the flavour so early on considering the high starting gravity. I would have thought that it would benefit from 3-6 months conditioning.

Hi QSR, the recipe is - Linky, I substituted Saaz for German Northern Brewer hops (that was all i had around!)

Razz, i usually ramp this beer up from 18 to 28 over the course of a week, but due to a few problems had to keep this one at around 19-22 all week. I was also surprised with the taste, it is pretty damn good. But yeah i agree this type of beer needs a bit of time!

Cheers
DK

If it's 1388, the fartyness goes away after a couple of weeks ;)

Farty = Sulphur (= VB). Just give it a bit of time and it will dissipate as mentioned by trev above. Next time if you detect the aroma, just leave it in the fermenter a bit longer and it'll clean itself up.

DK
As to your first question, well if your second boil is long and hard, and the lag was not too long then chances are all is fine.
Now, if the worts OK then the hops are more than OK, no need to add more, just a question though why would you want to add any more.
Seems like it worked OK + given that it "tastes like Duvel all the way".
Yet the aroma is "farty"..does this imply that Duvel is "farty" or , silly me, that taste and aroma are in no way linked.

K

Sorry for hijacking an older thread, but I have a fairly urgent question that is related.

I have mashed my BIAB brew, and it is on the way to the boil, no hops added yet. I have to go out urgently, and will be gone for about 4-5 hours.

Can I just turn off the urn, wrap it in a doonah and blankets as though I was mashing, and come back later on to boil it?

The temp in it is about 90 degrees, so not concerned about bacteria, and it will be covered and boiled later today.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Crundle

Yes, I think that'd be just fine to just leave it tucked up in bed, having a little nap while you go off to do your own thing. I had a similar problem last week, although then it was during the mash.
Can't see why not, and its not as though you've got many choices!
RdeV.

Crundle,

If it is at 90 enzymes will have been denatured so all should be good.

Screwy

Thanks for putting me at ease folks, I don't really have much choice, but at least knowing that the high temp has made it safe, it should be pretty hot still when I get home, only lost 1 degree per hour during the mash.

cheers,

Crundle

Temp dropped by about 12 degrees over 5 hours, so very happy there, continued on as normal once I heated it up and got it boiling, now safely in the cube awaiting pitching tomorrow morning.

thanks for the help,

Crundle

Back