Internet speeds. What do you get?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
anthonyUK said:
We are fairly lucky in UK.
Even in a rural area I get 80mbit down 20mbit up with sub 10ms ping for £25 and is completely unlimited with no 'shaping'.
This includes some extras such as 50Gb cloud storage and 4 sports channels (BT).
Ducatiboy stu said:
Some of you guys are almost as fast as Abbott/Turnbull high speed internet
Sums it up really. I'm annoyed it wasn't a bigger issue last month, we're so far behind.

Liam_snorkel said:
Sums it up really. I'm annoyed it wasn't a bigger issue last month, we're so far behind.
BUT THE BOATS... WE HAVE TO STOP THE BOATS!!!

How will we stop them when the copper pigeon delivering emails to the minister for border protection corrodes during a rainstorm?

We need digital pigeons that can fly really fast.

Ducatiboy stu said:
Some of you guys are almost as fast as Abbott/Turnbull high speed internet

From my PC, I'm already 4 times faster than Turnbull's NBN. What they've sold us is infrastructure that Telstra has been putting in for years (RIM). So, a lot of the job is already done, and is Telstra owned. So, instead of building a new monopoly (NBN Co.), we'll probably be stuck with the old monopoly - one who's interests are more business oriented.

5Mbps / 0.5Mbps
Internode ADSL2+
Asymmetry sux!

15Mbps/15Mbps
Telstra iPhone

.. and heinously outdated, so as a result, not business oriented. As anthonyUK said before, he is in rural UK and gets more than 10 x the up & down speeds I do, and I'm less than 5km from the CBD of a state capital city.

When I was with vodafone (in an inner city suburb of melbourne), I got between 0 and 38 kps most days. Ended up biting the modem in frustration and blaming it on the cat.

Switched net providers (tpg now) and have no idea but the internet works as opposed to being a giant ball of me wanting to stick metal skewers in fleshier parts of myself.

I only ever wanted it to work.

Liam_snorkel said:
.. and heinously outdated, so as a result, not business oriented. As anthonyUK said before, he is in rural UK and gets more than 10 x the up & down speeds I do, and I'm less than 5km from the CBD of a state capital city.
And there's more people in a landmass the size of Tasmania than the whole fcking country of Australia? We need more boat people damn it!

Liam_snorkel said:
Ironically though I cannot get a non-commercial fibre service at work in the City of London.
Some residential areas of London can get 1Gbps for £65/pm - https://www.hyperoptic.com/web/guest/home#3

On the plus side, It's still going to be fibre to the node. If your willing to pay the extortion fees, I'm sure you'll be able to get a business upgrade and get your fibre run to the premises. If you pay more extortion fees, no doubt they'll set you up with a coarse wave division multiplexer and you'll get your gigabit speeds. If you pay more extortion fees, you'll even get decent upload speeds.

And that's where we'll be at. Government departments will pay all of those extortion fees to private conglomerate whether they need it or not, and tax payer will foot the bill.

grantb said:
On the plus side, It's still going to be fibre to the node. If your willing to pay the extortion fees, I'm sure you'll be able to get a business upgrade and get your fibre run to the premises. If you pay more extortion fees, no doubt they'll set you up with a coarse wave division multiplexer and you'll get your gigabit speeds. If you pay more extortion fees, you'll even get decent upload speeds.

And that's where we'll be at. Government departments will pay all of those extortion fees to private conglomerate whether they need it or not, and tax payer will foot the bill.

Don't get me wrong. We have had fibre for a decade at 100mb+ for business critical systems but it is £1000s per month.
For non-critical e.g mobile devices and internet we are stuck at 8mb as I guess the telcos don't want to erode their business offerings.

Well I am trying to download a BBC documentary and my torrent client says 2+ days to get 1.3Gb

I know its the torrent but the max I can get on a good day is 150k

I am on Telstra cable and get consistent 110Mbps with 2.5Mbps upload. I will not benefit from NBN. 7ms ping to closest server. Mind you I was getting huge error rates and shit page load times until I had Telstra replace their shitty cg3100 cable modem recently.

I'm in country NSW and get 1.34 and .21. Woe is me. Can't watch youtube if set on HD.

7.88Mbps down and .85 up. TPG. Ping 24ms

bum said:
What services are people using that are reporting in bytes? :huh:
I was wondering the same.

bum said:
What services are people using that are reporting in bytes? :huh:
The one linked in the original post? ^_^

Latest posts

Back