International roaming

• Thread starter bradsbrew
  • Start date
Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
B

bradsbrew

Off to NZ for a few weeks but will need set the phone to roam.

What's the tricks to cut the costs down. I will be turning off data and using wifi for free where possible but also grab a prepaid sim for my iPad so I can hotspot off that where required.
Any other tips.

Cheers

Depending on who you're with you can also buy international roaming data packs which while still expensive, will mean that if you accidentally use mobile data or have to in a quasi-emergency, the damage bill won't be so great.

I just bought a local prepaid sim and top up as I was there for 2 weeks and didn't find the hassle with roaming worth it.

Unless you need yur current number for work etc just get a local sim. I've got a skinny mobile sim that i use a few times per year when over there.

EDIT: if you're in the Marlborough region next week I can point you in the direction of some good wines. I'm there from Thursday for a a few days.

bradsbrew said:
Off to NZ for a few weeks but will need set the phone to roam.

What's the tricks to cut the costs down. I will be turning off data and using wifi for free where possible but also grab a prepaid sim for my iPad so I can hotspot off that where required.
Any other tips.

Cheers
Just been there. I had my phone set to use international roam (using the telstra 24/7 app), so I could get SMS and calls (if necessary) I just set the cellular data and data roaming to off. Turning off the cellular data over-rides the data roaming (it closes it) but I turned data roaming off, before turning cellular data off, to be sure. No horror bill when I came home. This is with an iphone, but others will have a similar setup I suppose.
**Note just turning data roaming off and leaving cellular data on is what gets most AUSTRALIAN people in trouble** - it works differently for phone owners in the USA for example, which is why there are two choices.

Back