Interesting Idea

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rubes

Reaction score
Was stuck on a train the other day and picked up some junk magazine someone left on the seat. It was one of those evening classes type things. A quick flick through showed all the usual courses available - photography, table making, bricklaying, some metrosexual thing about face moisturisers for the modern man (no I am NOT kidding), wine appreiciation etc. Nothing on brewing - never is :( So I started thinking wouldn't it be cool if someone started a night course in brewing. Just think of some of the advantages:
  • You get to pass on your experience to the HB community
  • You get paid to do what you like doing anyway
  • You get to taste expensive imports for free and pretend that it is studying
  • All that big shiny SS equipment you have been dreaming about suddenly becomes tax deductable!
Mmmm. I wonder how you get one of these courses started!

Rubes said:
Mmmm. I wonder how you get one of these courses started!
1. Get a degree in Brewing
2. Run a successful brewery for a number of years.
3. Approach the night college and pitch your idea.

Nah, it's probably easier than that. You will need to do #3 at the very least.

Lion Nathan in NZ offer a Beer School.
It is a night school where you actually get to brew.
There was a review of it on Realbeer NZ but since they redesigned the site I don't seem to be able to find the story/review and the pictures.

I wonder if Lion Nathan would run in here in Sydney at the Malt Shovel. That would be cool. Maybe we should offer to run it for them :D :lol:

Beers,
Doc

Actually.....David from "Hop to it" at Botany runs a BASIC homebrew course throught the community colleges. He said he was doing one over at Mosman(I think). The last one was at Padstow TAFE or Kirrawee.

i was surprised to find a HB course in an adult ed magazine here in hobart about a year or two ago. would have done it, but it was the same night as my bowliong league. dont remember how long it went or the cost though.
joe

Back