Interested in a new way of testing beer?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Please take my survey??? link in the description :D

• Nah, all G.

Votes: 1 33.3%
  • Okay! I'll help! https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/LPCSQPN

Votes: 2 66.7%

• Total voters

Nicole

Reaction score
Hi Guys! ,

I'm part of a commercialization project at The University of Queensland (St Lucia Campus).

Before you roll your eyes, I'm not trying to sell anything I promise, I'm just a student actually! I don't even have anything to sell lol.

At the moment, we're looking into a new way of testing of Beer using a technology called EPR (electron paramagenetic resonance) lag assay. (yeah it's kinda scientific but...it's useful!)

This sort of testing might help improve shelf life, and the overall taste of beers by detecting harmful radicals which can lead to rancidity and even that 'skunky' flavour of beer. It's very quick compared to other methods of testing available and you can check your beer at all the stages of your beer making process.

I am trying to see if this sort of testing is actually of interest to any of you here, and if you have problems with how your manufacturing processes are so far?

EPR testing has apparently been successful overseas in the UK and we're seeing if the Aussies might benefit by making their beers even better than they are already haha!

If you're interested, you can see our survey monkey here which asks a bunch of questions on how we might be able to get this testing up and running in Australia:

https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/LPCSQPN

So far, we might be the first to offer this service if all goes well and if there's enough demand or need for the testing! :) Plus who doesn't like awesome tasting brews~

Thanks so much for any input! Nix~

Personally I can't imagine ever requiring this sort of service as a home brewer. My beer is kept in ideal conditions for it's entire life, and I only make enough for me, so it doesn't last very long anyway. I imagine most on here would be the same.

This sort of tech seems appropriate for commercial operations (although there may be one or two homebrewers interested), there are a few pro brewers on here, but I'm not sure that this is best route to contact them.

I might be completely wrong, but I think you will have better success through more direct avenues of communication with breweries.

Just so this post isn't completely negative, I am all for the intent of your research! If I had a commercial brewery, I would be jumping at the chance :) good luck!

I would imagine that the testing done in the UK was with the commercial and craft breweries, as Matplat suggested we are home brewers making small batches but I will complete the survey if it's any help.

Ditto, the survey looks like it's designed for commercial operators. If you get us home brewers to fill it out it will skew the results.

I've been to one or two craft breweries that are in need of this kind of testing ;)

Hey Nicole, Home Brewers are notoriously stingy buggers . Price point is all that matters.
You may have a market in the future but never with Home Brewers.

I think this is an excellent project and as the landscape of home Brewers becomes more sophisticated and the understanding of the science spreads an opening could emerge for your type of testing.

I think a few of the comments above are appropriate but I have optimism that you're in a good direction. I'll complete the survey and at the same time wish you well with your pursuit.

Hi Guys! thanks so much for all the replies and for any of the responses to the Survey :)

All of your answers and comments here are really helpful! It's great to understand the needs of Home Brewers as well - even if it seems like you guys have it taken care of and that your needs are met already :D It really does point me and my team in the right direction even hearing negative responses in that you wouldn't want or need to use this sort of service~~~~ so thank you so much!

@Matplat thank you so much for taking the time for responding :) even a "I don't need this service" is still very useful information to hear from an experienced home brewer! Also your signature is brilliant hahaha! :D

@wide eyed and legless thanks for responding to the survey! and Yes I believe you might be correct - I can't quite remember the brewer over in the UK, but they seemed to be a larger entity :)

@good4whatAlesU that's okay ! We actually want to know if the smaller group or individual brewer would be interested in the testing as well :) so if it's a no, it's good to hear regardless!

@nosco Feel free to let me know who those are and I can message them ;) LOL

@Roosterboy As I understand so far, the testing is priced on a 'per hour basis' - and the tests may take a few hours. I suppose if a home brewer is experiencing great difficulty, they might resort to it, but it certainly does feel like a job suited for a larger brewer hmmm.

@Zorco thank you so much for your response! And for your kind words :) We hope to help anyone who needs it!~

Back