Insulating Electric Urn (hlt)

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

symphony1975

Reaction score
hi,

i have a birko electric urn that i use for a HLT and thought i would put some sort of insulation around it to help keep temp steady (man my brew shed is bloody cold!) and so its not turning on every minute.......can anyone suggest the material/product they use and have success with?

a blanket from the house linen cupboard seems to be off limits!

cheers

Camping mats and use the straps you buy to put around suitcases.

I've got a mixture of camp mats and yoga mats on my 3V setup as seen . Value for money the camp mats are great, $5 a roll and like batz said just a stretchy strap to hold it in place. On my Mashtun I've used some velcro to hold it in place. The yoga mat looks neater, but when you touch it you can feel some warmth from it, it's about $20 a roll. I think I do prefer the yoga mat just for the looks.

QldKev

Last edited by a moderator:
The Clark Rubber insulation shown in the post Tony linked looks really good.

Is there anyone here who has used it for sometime? I believe that I've heard the silver backing breaks down and starts to flake and fall off after a bit of use.
Also what's the stuff worth per metre?

Like symphony I'm thinking about insulating my BM due to the cold. I have camping mats ready but the silver stuff looks more sexy.

It sure does look nice in that pic.

Didn't AndrewQld use that silver stuff a while back? I remember him cooking some with his burner when he got his HERMS too close :huh: Maybe worth shooting him a pm.

QldKev

Well thanks for the inspiration symphony, just poured a beer and knocked one out.

$3.00 camping mat from the Red Cross store, two luggage straps from Red Dot $2.00 each. Big $7.00 outlay :lol:
I still like the look of the silver covered stuff, I just have a feeling it deteriorates, it may have been Tidalpetes.

DSCF2781.JPG

Is there anyone here who has used it for sometime? I believe that I've heard the silver backing breaks down and starts to flake and fall off after a bit of use.

Like symphony I'm thinking about insulating my BM due to the cold. I have camping mats ready but the silver stuff looks more sexy.

I've used it on my system for 6 months now and there is no sign of the backing falling off yet. It works really well, and from memory was about 24 bucks for 1 metre x 1.5 metres the roll is wider than a metre anyway.

I use it silver side inwards though. I thought it would be best to try to reflect the heat back into the vessel. My only issue is that it marks really easily and looks tatty pretty quickly.

I've used it on my system for 6 months now and there is no sign of the backing falling off yet. It works really well, and from memory was about 24 bucks for 1 metre x 1.5 metres the roll is wider than a metre anyway.

I use it silver side inwards though. I thought it would be best to try to reflect the heat back into the vessel. My only issue is that it marks really easily and looks tatty pretty quickly.

Cheers FB, perhaps the marking was the issue.
I might grab a metre to try out anyway.

Thanks for the reply.

Batz

go to the local op shop and see if they have any doona's or similar.even some Polystyrene around the sides..even cardboard for quick fix

there is always silver duct tape :p

What is that black stuff that people use, that looks like a massive piece of black heat shrink has been put over the pot?

I think it looks the goods!

but no idea what it is or where to get it

I wouldn't be able to timber lag mine........... i would spend more time licking it than brewing :p

Ive used one of the cheap camp mats. I found over the course of a few brews the mat began to warp and distort. It adheres strongly to the sides of the urn to the point that even a paint scraper wont remove it. I dont know if they are all the same but ill be finding something else to insulate with when I build my next setup.

I bought the scraps that Edak had left over & just finished fitting it....

insulation.jpg

Held temp at 57 for 15 minutes

Did a boil test on the vessel & then pointed my laser thermometer at the insulation and it was at 24 degrees, while the pot was at just over 90

Ive used one of the cheap camp mats. I found over the course of a few brews the mat began to warp and distort. It adheres strongly to the sides of the urn to the point that even a paint scraper wont remove it. I dont know if they are all the same but ill be finding something else to insulate with when I build my next setup.

yuk! I don't want stuff stuck to my BM.

I wouldn't be able to timber lag mine........... i would spend more time licking it than brewing :p

Hey Tony, all it takes is a few lengths of timber - around 12 to 15mm thick, a belt sander and a bit of patience. The bands are "Bandit" strapping pop riveted to a heavy duty 150mm hose clamp fitting with all the hose clamp stuff removed and the bolt up part retained. You hold the timbers in place with bungee straps until the final clamp up. Just polyurethane all sides of the timber first.

Wes

I did my MT in wetsuit material.. Found it at work so have no idea on cost.

Works awesome. Just did a Velcro strip up the back:

IMG_2848.JPG

Edit: Keeps heat really well and is gold when cleaning as the water just beads or behaves as it does with a wetsuit! :p

some of this material would look good :)

angelina_jolie_tomb_raider_lara_croft_1024x768_wallpaper_www.wallpaperhi.com_80.jpg

Back