Installing shelves in a commercial fridge

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mtb

Beer Bod
Reaction score
So the new fridge is a go'er, runs well, just gave it some TLC. One problem though - it didn't come with shelves, the previous owner used it to store carcasses in (not that you can tell).

There are clip things on the sides, so one option is to grab some steel grating and have it cut to size to sit on the clips. Gotta be heavy duty due to the weight I'm planning to put on them (let's say 300kg).

Anyone got any suggestions on how to approach this?
20171212_182457.jpg

Possibly some galvanised reinforced mesh sheet (used for concreting). Might find some suitable off-cuts at building sites.

Could you just buy another fridge the same and transfer the shelves across? :fallingoffchair:

But on a more helpful note - with mesh sheet you would want to try to get it so you have full squares rather than part squares otherwise you might have issues getting it to sit on those clips. Hopefully that makes sense. If you're handy with a welder or have a mate who is, I reckon frames of RHS covered with mesh might be the go.

the clips are a universal clip used in most commercial fridges pubs /coke fridges etc etc
if you locate the supplier distributor ..in Victoria it used to be quirks refrigeration ..now Williams refrigeration from memory

I have successfully used aluminium security door mesh ..cut to size if that helps

good luck

Yeah understood about the full squares earle, it's the main reason I can't just go buy a mesh sheet and cut it to size. Thankfully I found a few on Gumtree that also state the mesh square sizing - see how I go.
Thanks all for your input

I have said shelves not being used (not posting!!)
My missus left this morning for Sydney she'll probably come back via Canberra!!! You needed to post this Yesterday!!!!!

Nah, they're just a little too small unfortunately. That fridge just can't seem to make itself useful.

Are they deep enough and therefore for width they could sit on inverted angle iron (for strength) that sit on your clips?

500mm x 545mm. So perfect length on one end - but about 5cm short on the other. I could probably install a few brackets.. but it would reduce the usable space in the fridge. Not by much though.
If I were to do this, what's the recommendation for drilling into the side and attaching the brackets? Assume I'm a complete dingus. Explain it like I'm five.

Could you lengthen the existing brackets? 5cm about 2”. Can you get longer brackets to suit the side track?

Yeah there might be an idea. I'll see if I can find some longer brackets, being a universal fitting it shouldn't be too hard, but I assume the longer the bracket the less weight it can hold

If there are any used restaurant equipment places there you could check with them. The wire shelves in commercial fridges are pretty standard sizes. They’d probably cost you about $100.

Well I took my daughter to Bunnings today (where else would we go? A park? Feck off, Bunnings have their own) and found a heavy duty DIY shelf whose 540mm depth measurements are perfect - https://www.bunnings.com.au/pinnacl...-heavy-duty-adjustable-shelving-unit_p2582967

So I bought the thing - can't buy the shelves separately, fark that would've saved me a few dollars - pulled out the circular saw and cut the end off a shelf to fit length-wise. It fits well.

DGJWxYq.png

I expected some sagging but not this much. I guess the 625kg weight capacity sold me on sturdiness. You can see in the photo that I double-stacked the shelves, this was an attempt to reduce sagging, but it didn't do much. I have a few options there, namely reinforcing the shelves with horizontal steel runners. Will ponder it for a while. In any case the fridge is on, I've silicon'd the joins in the steel for insulation, and I'm all geared up to brew enough to fill my entire keg inventory and fill this ******* up.

BTW you're likely to wonder why I mounted the kegs off the floor, the reason for that is, the floor is shit. Insulated thanks to the silicon - but apparently not designed to take on heavy weight. The loss of space there doesn't impact keg storage capacity.

..oh, and the rest of the shelf system will be used to build the new brewing rig. I need something heavy duty onto which I can mount my electric hoist for lifting dem malt pipes.

Latest posts

Back