Inspire me

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

r055c0

Reaction score
I want to brew something this weekend but don't want to brew the same old pale ale style of beer that I always seem to end up brewing so I need some inspiration, what am I going to brew this weekend? Needs to be an Ale as temp control is non existent, and nothing too crazy, I'm not interested in having 3 cartons of Chili Chocolate Cardamon Cardigan Porter sitting in my garage untouched for the next 10 years ;)

billcopeland173577.jpg

Sorry, couldn't help myself.

Munich Dunkel sounds interesting, would it work fermented at higher temps (20C to 22C) or with an ale yeast?

Therws sonmuch on this site and you bcf having a look? You need to be inspired. Geez whats the world coming to.
Look at the recipe db or the what are you brewing thread or style of the week. Should be enough inspiration there

Hefeweizen. 60% Wheat, 40% Pils to 1050SG (and rice hulls). 1hr @ 66c mash. 90 min boil. Bitter to 20IBU with Hallertau @ 60. WY3068 Yeast @ 18c or close enough.

weissbier is about as different as you can get at ale fermentation temperatures, unless you want to go trappist that is...

Vortex / Ticinglese - The weissbier / hefeweizen sounds like a great idea. My grain bill is usually around 6.5kg, how much in the way of rice hulls should I add to that?

Liam - I did a maris otter / cascade smash a couple of months ago, it was bloody delicious, will do the munich smash next time I'm doing a smash

citymourge2 - sorry champ, hope my thread hasn't wasted too much of your arvo ;)

Edit: apparently I cant spell munich...

probably depends on your system - i have a braumeister and have never used rice hulls and never had a stuck sparge

I have an esky with a coil of braided wire tubing as a mash tun, haven't had a stuck sparge yet but have only done 8 brews on it so far.

I used the precise and exact measurement of "a few handfuls". Double batch, and used probably 4 handfuls at a guess.

You can always add more if the mash sticks (but you'll need to vorlauf again).

A few handfuls is my kind of precision! And if I have to vorlauf again it's no problem, my beer fridge is in my garage with my brewing gear so I can keep lubricated through the entire process, I think we have a winner. Only thing to consider (maybe) is I no-chill, will that hurt a weizen?

ro55c0 said:
Only thing to consider (maybe) is I no-chill, will that hurt a weizen?
I have no relevant experience on this (dedicated chiller) but can't see why not.

same here. remember it's supposed to be pretty much the least bitter beer style around, also the most highly carbonated. Stick to the style for the first go then playaround with it next time. 5-10% munich adds a nice maltiness and true to some commercial examples

Buy a book. Some type of beer compendium with lots of pictures.
I've got plenty on hand and often decide what to brew based on what looks good.

If you cant be arsed, go to the 'whats in the glass' thread and look back.
Then you'll most likley end up brewing one of Tonys saisons based on looks alone.

If this dosen't inspire you, take up winemaking.

BSaaz_Saison1152x1728.jpg

Back