Insane Fizzy Cordial Beers

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Weizguy

Barley Bomber
Reaction score
Well, it had to happen.

I have been plotting with someone who also requires only a little encouragment... :D
Someone who has suggested a Passiona Wit. :p
The irrepressible Backlane Brewery. :eek:

We plan to create a series of beers based around soft drink:
There will be a Passiona Wit to start with. A radler with lemon or lime drink is the next suggestion, including an entire lime . Followed by a Cream Soda recipe, and who knows if we'll still be inspired after that.

Our "oddyssey" (pun intended)., begins with the Passiona beer.

Recipe for Passionate Sarcasm (the lowest form of wit)

1 can of Spicy Ghost Wheat
2l flat Passiona
tsp ground coriander
strip of orange peel
500g light dried malt
500g white sugar.
Optional nutmeg for me. 1/2 tsp
yeast (prob cheap dry yeast)

makes 23l.

But wait, there's more.
Backlane will add the flat soft drink to the wort, and I will bulk prime with it (~200g sucrose).

Set the pigeons free, and let the games commence.
Stay tuned for updates and feedback as soon as I get my Coke poorter into bottles (prob 2 litre soft drink bottles, hahaha).

signing out 4 now, the Seth/ Backlane fizzy lolly water brewing combo

Well first up let me thank you for the words of advice about the rain on my umbrella seth.I love a metaphor,and that one just poured a glass of cold water on my fire. ;) Ive been siphoned/censored but hey who really gives a (insert expletetive of choice here) :lol:
Its good to see a radical and lighthearted experimental approach to beer making amongst all the serious die hard attitudes.Hats off to all at backlane as well for their experimental ideas and output as well.

I,ve long dreamed of a beer that was brown ,mellow and tasted like creamy soda,and think i may give one a shot.I will flex my head around it for a couple of days and pm you with a potential recipe.Any ideas you boys have in the meantime would be gratefully accepted!

Count me in on the fun and frivolity of experimentation.

Geez phantom,

A sarcastic miscreant like myself isn't too familiar with praise.
However, I was quite proud of the umbrella myself.
Back to the question. I was thinking of a Cream soda cream ale. If it was made as a bock, it could be the Creamator. :D
In the American cream Ale style, I would suggest:
Coopers Real Ale kit
1 kg lme
hops to taste (flavour, maybe 15g Willamette, Amarillo or whatever).
15 min boil. Add malt and Coopers can for last 5 min.
Yeast (I thought American II, coz I've heard good things about it).
This is not chiselled in stone. I'm happy to consult on this.

Mmmm, Creamator (2 cans, 2 kg, german hops, 2 botles of fizzy drink (flatted), Bavarian lager yeast, store for months b4 making a guts of yourself and going crazy on it).

Seth out 4 now

P.S. [Edit, etc] The Radler is next on the menu, I believe. So there is time to cogitate over the Creamy Soda beer (ale or lager). :p

Keep 'em coming guys....it makes GMK look tame with his oak chips ;) :lol:

Either those beers will get you or the big breweries will :blink: :wacko: :blink:

I am about to put a house ale in the fermenter so will look at doing the cream ale in a few weeks.
Looking forward to progress results from all concerned.

So, I had to ask.
What is the House beer, pray tell, he asks. Isn't that a redundancy. Nar that's when you get sacked but they give you wad o'cash, isn't it?

I just want to know the style, or maybe a recipe.

Sethule

One slight change to this- what I remember from my youth as Passiona is now called Pasito. It's still fluorescent yellow fizzy pap though. 2l bottle bought & cracked yesterday, sitting around going flat as I type.

Cheers to Weizguy for working to put this together.

Sorry about the Pasito indiscretion.
...and thanks for the credos, Mister Backlane.
I'm currently listening to TISM doing some poetry and it's cack funny.
"I'm sure that I could be happier if I could be more depressed."

Have a great day,
Seth out

It will be interesting to see how this experiment works out.

I have tried to ferment lemonade before, and well, it fizzed. Anyone who doesn't remember cracker "mum did you see where that finger went" night won't know the true meaning of that.

Soft drink as 10% of the wort, now hopefully that should fire like a penny bunger.

As for why mine fizzed, maybe it is the total lack of nutrients in lemonade, but there may be an issue with preservatives. Looking forward to the result.

Sosman,
I get the impression that its the pH of the wort (is it a wort?) that affects beer yeast. Too acid and they get sick.

And, if you set your expectations low you can't be disappointed, eh?

If the result is drinkable, then it's bonus.
No doubt I'll be forcing people to drink these anyway. "Yeah mate, as long as it gets me drunk, I'll drink anything"-type of people.
They should all be fine, but I have to fit the soda pop beers in between my regular schedule. You see , I have set a list of beers to be brewed this year, and they must be acheived.
Determination - 2005.
Seth

I have tried to ferment lemonade before, and well, it fizzed. Anyone who doesn't remember cracker "mum did you see where that finger went" night won't know the true meaning of that.

Soft drink as 10% of the wort, now hopefully that should fire like a penny bunger.

Sosman, the soft drink is only 10% sugar, so we are getting 200g of sucrose, some water and a mess of colours/flavours from it. The preservatives etc. didn't seem to affect the Coke Fiend at all. I tip my hat to you if you fermented pure lemonade- as with the comments on the Poor Man's Porter thread, I cannot imagine what Coke or Ribena or anything else like that woudl be like if you took at the sugar and substituted alcohol.

All my ingredients are together now- Spicy Ghost mix, AAA hop teabag, light dried malt, ground coriander seed, Pasito & an orange. Will post again when the thing goes on.

ps Phantom get in touch with me & Weizguy if you have ideas for the Creamy Soda Ale.

For any one who is interested or following this crazy cart we call soda pop express,I put in a cream soda ale last nite.
1.7 morgans royal oak amber
1kg dme(light)
2litres schweppes trad cream soda(flattened)
10gms Fuggles pellets steeped in a plunger
slurry from house ale bottled earlier
22litres bubbling away this am@18c

Many thanks to Weizguy :ph34r: and backlane brewery B) for their creative input
More updates at tasting time. ;)

Quality.
The BLB are putting the Passionate Sarcasm together this Saturday- been too hot previously.
Can't wait- hung over from the Mountain Goat visit, farting round with bits of orange peel & teaspoons...

ps you know, Phanton, you will have to come up with something containing Phanta.

Backlane Brewery said:
ps you know, Phanton, you will have to come up with something containing Phanta.
:lol: :lol: maybe an apa with honey and orange(little felchers) :lol: :lol:
Youd have to be out there to try this!

;) How about someone out there trying a pilsener with a lemon lime mineral water@only 1.25l as a soda pop faux radler. <_<

The Backlane's Passionate Sarcasm went into primary on Saturday.
2l flat Pasito
tsp ground coriander
strip orange peel
1kg dextrose
Cascade Spicy Ghost wheat can
10g MSB German wheat beer yeast.
Brewiser AAA hop teabag

The MSB yeast was a spare from the Summer Wheat kit we had made up with some liquid Belgian wit yeast we rehydrated it for 30 mins with some warm water & dex.

Shirley & I boiled the dex, peel & coriander in a litre of water, steeped the teabag in hot water then chucked the lot in.

This thing took off like a rocket. Smells great. SG 1041. Will probably rack to secondary in a week.

The MGB hangover was not such an obstacle, mainly because I had a pie, a fag & a Coopers' Sparkling stubbie for breakfast before getting started.

Down to 1015 already, so I racked this last night.
Threw out the hop bag, peel & hopefully most of the coriander was left behind in the yeast sludge.
Huge flavours & aromas all round. Fruity spicey hoppy, still all a bit raw but hopefully will mellow. Same for the color- a bit too bright & artificial.
This may turn out to have been a good idea.
Wierdest thing was that the krausen was still 70% intact, had dropped a bit leaving the usual ring of crusted foam, but most of the head was still there, and was really thick & sticky. Presume this is something in the soft drink at work.

;) Bottled the cream soda ale 2day.Tasting at bottling was promising,still a bit green.Subtle sweet undertone,redolent of diacetyl(too early to tell really)
I'll give it a couple of weeks in the bottle and try again. :)

Back