Innis & Gunn Original Oak Aged Beer

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Snow

Beer me up, Scotty!
Reaction score
Found this beer tonight at First Choice Liquor for $4.00 a stubby. There have been a couple of reviews on this site previously, but I just want to put my two thumbs up for this one.

It's made in Scotland, ages for 30 days in oak, then conditioned for a futher 47 days in stainless, I guess. 6.6% alcohol and it wonderfully malty with a caramel aftertaste and a lovely "woody" aroma and flavour that I didn't necessarily associate with oak maturation. Very tasty indeed and and at a comparatively good price.

I recommend trying it out!

Cheers - Snow.

This beer is truely awesome! Very different, but in a delicious way!
Only ever managed to try it over in the UK, glad to hear you can get it down here though! I might have to track some!

Great dessert beer with creme Anglaise and apple pie.

I've tried two varieties of it from the brewery and neither really took my fancy. Really lacking in depth of flavour. I think I would prefer it if they bottle conditioned rather than pasteurised and force carbed.

I will admit though, it is very clean, and not a bad dessert beer as mentioned above.

I've tried two varieties of it from the brewery and neither really took my fancy. Really lacking in depth of flavour. I think I would prefer it if they bottle conditioned rather than pasteurised and force carbed.

I will admit though, it is very clean, and not a bad dessert beer as mentioned above.

With as many lambics as you've got in the cupboard Kook I'm not surprised you find it a wee bit bland ;)

hmmm, the stuff I had seemed to have enough sediment in the bottle to suggest that it had definitely been bottle conditioned. I liked it a lot and though it wasn't massively complex, it was up there. Perhaps they have a few different varieties ????

Creme Anglaise and apple pie - oh yeah, that'd work. Maybe a nice custard tart, the nutmeg would go really well with the oak

TB

hmmm, the stuff I had seemed to have enough sediment in the bottle to suggest that it had definitely been bottle conditioned. I liked it a lot and though it wasn't massively complex, it was up there. Perhaps they have a few different varieties ????

Creme Anglaise and apple pie - oh yeah, that'd work. Maybe a nice custard tart, the nutmeg would go really well with the oak

TB

They do have a few different bottlings (including some badged purely for supermarket chains in the UK), however I was under the impression they were all pasteurised / force carbed. Otherwise the bugs from the barrels will take hold and give the beer real barrel aged flavour ;)

I've had thi sone as well. I was largely unimpressed with it. I found it really bland. Anyhow, I blogged about it, so you can read my opinions here. (The Beer Diary)

Latest posts

Back