Innis & Gunn Oak Aged Beer

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GMK

BrewInn Barossa:~ Home to GMKenterprises ~
Reaction score
Hi All,

After an All Grain recipe for the above Beer.
It was 2004 Supreme Champion at the International Beer Festival.

Here is the description from Rate Beer.

Commercial Description:
Brewed by Scottish Courage for Innis & Gunn
For 30 days this honey-hued beer sleeps in hand selected oak barrels, locked inside a bonded warehouse, gradually assimilating the subtle flavours that reside in the wood. Barrels are then emptied and maturation continues for a further 47 days in a marrying tun where these natural flavours infuse and fall into perfect balance. This 77-day process is unique and produces a delicious, refreshing beer: Aromas of vanilla and toffee, hints of citrus, with a malty, lightly oaked,palate. Deftly balanced and light in texture, soothing and warming in the finish.

Search on Google turned up no recipe results.

Hopefully someone out there will have a recipe.
Worth a try if u can find it a bottle shop - i know it is stocked at the "Spotted Cow Cellars" in Towomba and is imported by a WA Co.

Thanks in Advance.

Can't provide any recipe advice, but check out Cellerbrations at Glenside if you are looking to try the bottled version. They did have it in stock earlier in the year, though it was some time ago.

Can't recall being that overwhelmed by it, however. "Deftly balanced and light in texture" probably somes up my memory. From memory it came in a smallish clear bottle, which is always a bit of worry for the imorted Brit beers.

yeah, thats a good bottlo
they had the Summer Lightning someone mentioned previously

you're in the right place for barrels GMK!

GMK said:
Hi All,

After an All Grain recipe for the above Beer.
It was 2004 Supreme Champion at the International Beer Festival.

Here is the description from Rate Beer.

Commercial Description:
Brewed by Scottish Courage for Innis & Gunn
For 30 days this honey-hued beer sleeps in hand selected oak barrels, locked inside a bonded warehouse, gradually assimilating the subtle flavours that reside in the wood. Barrels are then emptied and maturation continues for a further 47 days in a marrying tun where these natural flavours infuse and fall into perfect balance. This 77-day process is unique and produces a delicious, refreshing beer: Aromas of vanilla and toffee, hints of citrus, with a malty, lightly oaked,palate. Deftly balanced and light in texture, soothing and warming in the finish.

Search on Google turned up no recipe results.

Hopefully someone out there will have a recipe.
Worth a try if u can find it a bottle shop - i know it is stocked at the "Spotted Cow Cellars" in Towomba and is imported by a WA Co.

Thanks in Advance.
[post="88967"][/post]​

Hi GMK :)

Now I do have a bit too much time on my hands this morning but let's look at this beer.

"For 30 days this honey-hued beer sleeps in hand selected oak barrels, "

Ok now that is marketing for --- Guys we've filled all the SS kegs is there anything we can do with this left over beer.

" locked inside a bonded warehouse, gradually assimilating the subtle flavours that reside in the wood."

Crikey mate where did we leave that second runnings from the Scottish Ale??

"Barrels are then emptied and maturation continues for a further 47 days in a marrying tun where these natural flavours infuse and fall into perfect balance."

Has this beer got an infection Bruce [you remember Bruce from last year's Mash Paddle?]

"This 77-day process is unique and produces a delicious, refreshing beer:"

Lambic is gaining popularity worldwide.

"Aromas of vanilla and toffee, hints of citrus, with a malty, lightly oaked,palate."

Did anyone clean the Cab Sav out of those oak barrels??

"Deftly balanced and light in texture, soothing and warming in the finish."

Bruce? Does it really matter if the bottles gush??

I'm certain my analysis is nothing like any real or imaginary beer but I'm also certain a bag of oak chips cold steeped overnight and simmered lightly in a pan of cooking chocolate then added to a Canadian blonde can would get you close.

And a disclaimer -- I do know you don't simmer cooking chocolate -- :) you heat water and allow the chocolate to melt in another vessel.

Oak chips on the other hand I'm out of my depth on.

Steve

Very Nice Steve....

I am glad i did not ask for the Strong Suffolk Ale Recipe...
That is a Beer blend of Young Ale with 2 year old ale that has been stored in Oak Barrels.

Very nice drop - IMHO...

What have you guys got against Oak....

leaving aside the silly marketing, it's quite a nice beer. that said, the oak is about all it has going for it. a pretty boring but drinkable brown ale with extra furniture flavour.

Any excuse :D

Cellerbrations don't have it in stock just now, Kenny. But, they are including it in the order they put through tomorrow.

While I was there I did pick up some Rodenbach Grand Cru - wood aged for 2 years, will report back after tasting later tonight :beer:

wee stu said:
Any excuse

Cellerbrations don't have it in stock just now, Kenny. But, they are including it in the order they put through tomorrow.

While I was there I did pick up some Rodenbach Grand Cru - wood aged for 2 years, will report back after tasting later tonight
[post="89161"][/post]​

I know, I know - talking to myself again :blink:

Kenny, you will love the Rodenbach :wub: - smells of old horse blankets and stale urine, tastes of sour cherries with hints of stale coffee or chocolate, rotten wood on the back palate.

I have to see you clone this one mate, not many other brewers would be up to the task ;)

Well buy one for me when u are down there next.

GMK said:
Well buy one for me when u are down there next.
[post="89219"][/post]​

consider it (them) bought.

Latest posts

Back