Inner Sydney Brewers – Summer Lovin’ Homebrew Competition

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Colbatt

Reaction score
We are pleased to announce the launch of our inaugural Home Brew Comp!

We have some great prizes (including a 7 gallon Ss Brewing Chronical fermenter) due to the generous sponsorship of Barleyman,
Ss Brewing Technologies, Wayward Brewing, The Hop + Grain, Absolute Homebrew, Dave's Home Brew, Flat Rock Brew Cafe, ESB Brewing Supplies and White Labs.

All of the details are on the web site http://colbatt.wix.com/isbbrewcomp

Entries close on 27 February for judging on 12 March so it's time to get brewing now and over the Christmas break!

This is a BJCP registered comp and we are looking for judges and stewards - you'll find the on-line application on the web site

Good luck to everyone!

Inner Sydney Brewers

If you're planning on brewing over Christmas, don't forget to order your ingredients pretty soon as the HB shops will be shutting for a while over the break

Hey guys, I've just moved to Sydney and will probs enter one or two beers which will be my first comp as well! Was thinking about putting in to steward so I can help out/meet some people. How long does the day usually go for?

It'll depend on the number of entries and the number of judges but it will probably be a 9am kick-off and we should be done by about 1pm

Glad there are more hands if you would like to steward!

Cool. I put my name in to help out as a steward, looking forward to it and hopefully learning a thing or two on the day as well.

I plan on entering this as my first comp.
If a beer came in at a higher abv than guidelines, do you get penalised?
Do judges actually test?
Can a contestant lie to make it fit within guidelines?

Can you clear something up please? There are 5 categories. The 'how to enter says 'one entry per category'. Does that mean one cannot enter an apa and an aipa? Or should the 'how to enter' point 3 say 'maximum one entry per style'?

panspermian said:
I plan on entering this as my first comp.
If a beer came in at a higher abv than guidelines, do you get penalised?
Do judges actually test?
Can a contestant lie to make it fit within guidelines?
Glad to hear that you're entering!

To answer your questions...
The only test of ABV is sensory analysis by the judges. If a beer clearly tastes too boozy for the style then marks would be deducted. There is no "scientific" analysis of the ABV or anything else.
"Lying" isn't really an issue - if you want to call your Czech Lager a Stout then go for it - it will be judged in that category and scored accordingly! Or perhaps more realistically, if you've brewed a nice German lager and want to enter it into the Czech lager category then that's OK. Again it will be judged according to the guidelines for Czech and you might get marked down on a few issues.

Good luck!

mckenry said:
Can you clear something up please? There are 5 categories. The 'how to enter says 'one entry per category'. Does that mean one cannot enter an apa and an aipa? Or should the 'how to enter' point 3 say 'maximum one entry per style'?
One entry per Category is correct so you'll have to decide whether to enter your apa OR your aipa

Just tasted my latest freshly kegged beer and I'm chuffed with it. Can't wait to enter it into this comp!

Will entries be stored cold or at room temperature? Just checking as I'm bottle carbing and want to do it as late as possible.

Reman said:
Will entries be stored cold or at room temperature? Just checking as I'm bottle carbing and want to do it as late as possible.
You should be OK as we won't be putting them into cold storage until a day or 2 before judging

It's only 6 weeks to go until entries close for the Summer Lovin' Home Brew Comp - but still enough time to get a few entries ready!

Thanks to the generosity of our sponsors there's over $1600 in prizes to be won including a Chronical 7 Gallon Fermenter valued at $500 donated by Ss Brewing Technologies!! Plus opportunities to brew winning beers at Wayward Brewing and Flat Rock Brew Cafe!

At only $5 per entry why wouldn't you throw in a few of your best efforts?

We are also looking for some more judges, preferably those with BJCP qualifications.

All details can be found at http://colbatt.wix.com/isbbrewcomp

More category/style questions:

I've got a sweet stout spiced with vanilla (so I'd usually enter it as a Specialty Beer > Spiced/Vegetable Beer).

Is it likely to be marked down if entered as a Sweet Stout in this comp?

Hi kaiserben, it's hard to know but I suggest you crack a bottle while you're reading the style guide & see how well you think it matches the description. My guess is that unless the vanilla is way over the top you'll be OK

Is it possible to post entries in? I don't think I will be able to make it to a drop-off location before the cutoff date

Back