Ink Bird Controllers

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Another vote for the 310T here. I've used it on my first brew for a week now and have had no problems. It controls the temp well, it only used the cooling point initially to bring the wort down from 20 to 19 degrees. I'm about to cold crash today so I'll see how it goes down to 2 degrees. The other difference between the 308 and 310 is the 310 has a 'Super Capacitor' whatever that does. The inkbird site has a comparison of each model:

http://www.ink-bird.com/product/detail/p/ITC-310T_Programmable_Outlet_Thermostat/id/15

It is a little tricky to set up, especially without using the manual, but once you work out you have to hold the 'Set' button after selecting 'C' for celsius to lock in your setting, its straightforward.

Andy_27 said:
The other difference between the 308 and 310 is the 310 has a 'Super Capacitor' whatever that does.
Super capacitors are usually used as back-up 'batteries'.
So in the case of the 310, it's probably there to keep your timer settings while the unit is unplugged.

Well, I've finally gotten around to using the ITC-310T I won
Great unit and it's keeping my fermentation within 0.5°C of the set temp (or so it says)
I only have one complaint
The plastic casing is low grade plastic
I have my controller hanging off a hook made of galv wire, I turned the unit around to see the face and snapped the hanging tab on the top
Changing to glass reinforced plastic would only add a few cents to the price and would greatly enhance it's strength

I'm a little concerned about the longevity of the plastic as well. My controller is in a covered area outside, which means it will be exposed to UV. I wonder how long it will last. Perhaps I need to apply some SPF30+ sun screen to it regularly. :p

I've started using the ITC308 this week with my heat belt around my fermenter in the shed (during cold Melb winter), set at 12 degrees with 0.3 differential value. After the first night, the fermenter temp was bang on 12 degrees, but after night two it dropped to below 10 degrees. It's currently heating back up to 12 degrees. I'm wondering why it dropped so low if the differential was 0.3? I've got the heat belt quite high on the 25l fermenter (with 10l of wort) so perhaps the ambient temp drop overnight exceeded the heat increase from the belt and it has taken longer to correct? I'm thinking that I lower the heat belt closer to the wort so the heating kicks in quicker and I lose less temp? Thoughts? Hope this makes sense. Cheers.

I've got the heat belt quite high on the 25l fermenter (with 10l of wort)
You want to put the belt low near the bottom of the fermenter below the level of the wort. If you have it above the level of the wort it will only heat the air at the top of the fermenter which won’t be enough to keep the brew warm if it is just standing in a shed and not in something small and insulated like a fridge.

You want to put the belt low near the bottom of the fermenter below the level of the wort. If you have it above the level of the wort it will only heat the air at the top of the fermenter which won’t be enough to keep the brew warm if it is just standing in a shed and not in something small and insulated like a fridge.
Cheers, will adjust and monitor.

Being this cold you need to wrap a towel or an old yoga mat around it to keep the heat in, my laundry is around 12c and the heat belt struggles to maintain temp without a cover of some sort.

So cold resorted to using a small fan heater in the ferment fridge. This worked a treat but don't think it is a great long term solution.

Latest posts

Back