Inherited an AG setup and have a few question...

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EastVicLad

Reaction score
Hey all getting my first AG brew put together as i recently inherited a AG setup of a old school awesome brewer (sampled many of his brews but unfortunately never spent a brew day with him RIP)

So the setup i have seems to have an opening in the lid to fit the chiller into the mash tun which as much as i have read you transfer the mash to the boiler before you need to use the chiller so that has me abit puzzled...

And the other part that has me scratching my head is there is a pole with arm to suspend something over the mash tun and i can't work out what he was using that for...

Also there is a white plastic bucket with piping coming out of it which again has me stumped...

Any thoughts would be great...
brew set up 1.jpg
brew setup 2.jpg

Some pix of the inside of the two tanks would be helpful.
Is there a gas burner under the fatter (more complex) tank?
Mark

My guess is you have tun and kettle confused but inside pics would help as above.

Hey all getting my first AG brew put together as i recently inherited a AG setup of a old school awesome brewer (sampled many of his brews but unfortunately never spent a brew day with him RIP)

So the setup i have seems to have an opening in the lid to fit the chiller into the mash tun which as much as i have read you transfer the mash to the boiler before you need to use the chiller so that has me abit puzzled...

And the other part that has me scratching my head is there is a pole with arm to suspend something over the mash tun and i can't work out what he was using that for...

Also there is a white plastic bucket with piping coming out of it which again has me stumped...

Any thoughts would be great... View attachment 107585View attachment 107587
So from what I can see which is not much without seeing what's on the inside that arm actually holds the piping that is inside the mashtun / kettle as you can see where the two pipes are held together is an eye .What part of east vic are you from ?

In the top of the grain hopper, I see what looks suspiciously like a BIAB bag, with the hook over the tun, my first thought was a 2V system with a mash tun/kettle and a HLT on the side - that's why I asked if there was a burner under the fat pot.
Mind you there are plenty of other ways to configure a 2V system, more information required (pix) any pumps with the system?
Mark

The smaller of the 2 does have the burner underneath and the Mash tun is insulated from what it seems and has the grain tray at the bottom... Im from Lakes Entrance way in East vic... Will get some better pics after work today... And yes i thought the same about the eye on the chiller but why would it hang from there? or simply to keep it out of the way until its needed?

Hi mate, I'm in Eagle Point, on the way out to Paynesville and work in Bairnsdale.

I have a brew bud in Lake Tyers and we would both be happy to check out your set-up and help, having both built All-Grain systems.

We might as well make it a beer-o-clock visit eh

PS
You know there's some peeps setting up a brewery down around Lake-Bunga, Lake-Tyers? Where the old Nursery site is. We're quoting on a big arsed electrical enclosure via their sparky as we speak. Cheers
Jonny

Hey Droid sounds awesome mate I'm about to have a crack with it today but yeah beer o'clock one day would be bang on i think... We are actually in newlands arm but no one knows this area so usually on forums i just say near lakes entrance as most people know where that is lol... You Say bairnsdale or paynesville to anyone and they have no idea what your talking about...

Looks like a 2V BIAB system to me with the smaller vessel a HLT and the larger one acting as mash tun and boil kettle. Id guess the arm over the top is to hoist the bag. That would make sense regarding the chiller cut out. It looks like a false bottom wit the little holes in it in the kettle to stop the bag getting scorched during heating.

Just had a look at the BIAB method and I dont think its the same sort of bag... Its quiet small really and wouldnt hold the amount of grain needed... i was thinking it was to steep the hops during boil or straining the wort pre boil... it has a small opening...

Back