Infusion of 200 crystal methods

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rod

Reaction score
I have made many batches of Abbey Ale from Coopers Canadian Blonde

the recipe calls for

the day before

add 200g Crystal ( 100g torrified wheat , 80g crystal 30 and 20g carafa III to 2 litres of cold water in a mesh bag

and rest in the rice cooker for 24 hours , then drain

has worked for me and saves time on brew day

when I use brewmate to print and store it recommends

Single step infusion @ 66°C for 60 minutes of the same ingredients

I know if it is not broke , don't fix it

any thoughts

title should be 200 grams of crystal methods

title should be 200 grams

Title should be "infusion of 200 font colors"
Well.. five. Couldn't help myself

That method is a little odd though, typical steeping is much shorter than that with warmer water.

For crystal malts a cold steep will probably have the same outcome as a single step infusion. As they are not base malts they don't actually need to be mashed.

Another method I used when I was doing kits and bits was to steep the crystal in a thermos with warm water.

Probably its recommending that you mash the torrefied wheat. The rest of it will be fine in a normal steep.

I usually steep @ 66°c for an hour for all my other stove tops

the overnight steep is just for the Abbey

the font colours , a rush of blood to the brain

There's nothing there that would convert the terrified wheat, best to give it a mash as Beerhog says.

I read the title as "Infusion of 200 Crystal Meth.."
I bet we have an Australian Federal Police watch on this thread now.

I think I will boil the torrified wheat today , let it cool and then add the crystal

and still get a head start ( probably from the wheat ) tomorrow

actually I use rolled oats as the 500 g pack would last me a year

No need to boil the wheat or oats if you use them instead but either one will need some base malt to convert the starches into fermentable sugars.crystal and roast malts dont have the enzymes necessary for the conversion. 100 grams is not the end of the world though and will probably just leave you with a hazy beer.

I thought the wheat was for head retention , not for fermentables , similar to rice hulls

quick google

Torrified Wheat can be used in place of raw wheat in Belgian style Wit-Beers, also very good for adding body and head, especially to English ales. Since it has not been malted, you can't sub it for malted wheat. Because it's not malted, it needs to be mashed with a diastatic malt in order to convert the starches.

The crystal meth maybe came in from the truncation of the title

Rod said:
the day before

add 200g Crystal ( 100g torrified wheat , 80g crystal 30 and 20g carafa III to 2 litres of cold water in a mesh bag

and rest in the rice cooker for 24 hours , then drain

where the wheat comes in , not crystal , but the soaking

Latest posts

Back