Infusion Grain First Attempt.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blink471

Reaction score
Ok have tried something different. After opinions good or bad.

Put a new brew together as an experiment. Hope it works.

I used

Morgans Canadian Light.
Brew Enhancer 1.
200g Carapil Infusion grains.
Dr Rudi Finishing Hops (Morgans)
Safale 05 Yeast

In fermenter and starting ok.

The question I have is with the Infusion grains as I might have stuffed up.

I followed instructions that came with it and steeped grains in boiled water that had cooled for a few minutes.
Was worried now after reading on here that it might have been too hot.
Also the instructions said steep for 40 mins. I now see that most here recommend 20 mins only.
So I might have done the wrong thing already.
Hope it doesn't release to much bitterness. The colour was a nice pale caramel though.

I tried the Canadian light as I prefer a lighter body style beer. And with advice from here adding some grains to improve head retention.

I am keen to experiment to get a beer I like but had to start somewhere.

Any thoughts on possible issues I would like to hear.

Cheers

When steeping grains like Carapils temp isn't crucial as conversion has already occurred so you're just extracting the maltose.
Too hot shouldn't be a huge issue. High astringency is linked to ph in the water more than heat.
20 vs 40 mins won't be a huge difference. I have steeped overnight before, so for about 12hrs.
I am hoping that you boiled the resulting wort for 15 mins after removing the grain & before adding to the fermenter...

I used a little insulated 2.5L willow drink cooler for Steeping/Mashing grain for Partials. Easy to adjust the temperature with tap and or boiled water from the kettle. I'd wrap it up in a towel for good measure and it would hold the temp easily for 60 mins.
Pour out the wort into a boil pot via a strainer.

stewy said:
When steeping grains like Carapils temp isn't crucial as conversion has already occurred so you're just extracting the maltose.
Too hot shouldn't be a huge issue. High astringency is linked to ph in the water more than heat.
20 vs 40 mins won't be a huge difference. I have steeped overnight before, so for about 12hrs.
I am hoping that you boiled the resulting wort for 15 mins after removing the grain & before adding to the fermenter...
Yeah mate. I strained the grain and ran some more hot water through the grain to get and left over sugars and flavour. Then boiled the liquid so it foamed up.
Then added to fermenter with can, sugar and mixed.

I think this Canadian Light needs something extra anyway... it is very pale. But thats what I wanted... so I can build on it.

Latest posts

Back