Infusion Calcs

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hopeye

Reaction score
Hi,

In Palmer's book (2nd Ed.), he lists two equations. The first to determine the Strike Water Temp and the second to determine the amount of infusion water (for a multi-rest/stepped infusion)

Where:
r = mash ratio, T1 = initial temperature, T2 = target temperature, WA = the amount of infusion water to add, G = the amount of grain in the mash & Wm = the volume of water in the mash

1) Strike Water Temp TW = ( .2 /r )(T2 - T1) + T2

2) WA = (T2 - T1)( .2G + Wm) / ( TW - T2)

- In equation 1) the mash ratio ('r') is imperial (qt/lb). What value would I use in place of the algebraically reduced '.2' when I use a mash ratio of Litre per Kilogram

- Would the '.2' in equation 2) be replaced with the same value from the Strike Water Temp calc ???

I've posted the question to the man himself, and his reply was that he was too busy at the moment to help me out...

Any help is appreciated....

Cheers & Beers.
David

- If you replace the 0.2 in the first eqn by 0.417 you can then make r be in units of L/kg

- In the second one I assume G would be in lb so if you want to use kg then replace 0.2 by 0.44

Of course all these come with the disclaimer that I won't be to blame for the murder of any enzymes as the result of high mash temps :eek:

Latest posts

Back